Author Topic: Phone Bomb  (Read 20466 times)

Offline Sidepocket

• Phone Phreaker Newbs Pwn
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-22
    • http://sidepocket_pro.livejournal.com/
Re: Phone Bomb
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »
While I am all for illigal stuff....can you say "not suprised"?

Oh and PHISH-PHREAK, nice sig. Spider-Man 2999 FTW!!!

Offline PHISH-PHREAK

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-26
    • 954 Phone Losers
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2006, 01:51:02 PM »
The site would have stayed up longer if not as many people found it. Thats the only way that site would have stayed up. But that wouldnt be fun at all.

My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself. and thanks sidepocket

Offline sic

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2006, 03:55:51 PM »
Perhapse the best thing someone can do is start something new/revive something old.... so long as its constantly backed up

shall we begin a directory of code entry, where one may enter *cough* "interesting" digits?

http://www.freeforum101.com/sicninja/

register and submit to the database.

and for the love of god, dont forget roy   =P

oh, if anyone would like to help moderate, go ahead and drop me a line chronictoker@gmail.com
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:56:13 PM by sic »

Offline adamh

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42:21 PM »
so is it actually "illegal"?  Or, did the webhost just "wuss out" and pull the plug, because they (the host) was afraid of inflicting "legal problems" that COULD/MAY (not) occur...no law was cited in the news footage, but yea, I guess I see the reasoning behind it being shut down :P  But still....why not just use CallerID, and not answer unknown phone numbers?

Edit:
Actually, I just saw http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?topic=731.msg8463#msg8463 about the district attorney, but yea, it should be gg if it's offshore :P
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:45:03 PM by adamh »

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2006, 10:59:18 PM »
Adam, read the post by the same name under the "is it worth it?" section. If someone in the US is hosting a site overseas that breaks US law, he can still be held legally responsible.

And, to make this point: calling people en masse to harass them is harassment. It doesn't matter if no threats are made; there is no mistake about intent after the first call. If one person is getting dozens or hundreds of calls from a large group of people, forcing them to change their number/phone provider/etc, it's become a possible civil case as well as criminal case.

Someone who operates a site that gets all of these harassers together, gives them resources on how to commit their crimes without detection, encourages people to take place in these actions, and even gives them the opportunity to introduce new victims is legally responsible for every single call made to one of the numbers on his/her site. The webhost, as well, is in the wrong, as no good webhost is going to host a site without knowing the content. Since most of these bombs take place interstate, they (can) become felonies. As the webhost is knowingly abetting felons, he could get all his equipment pulled and his business shut down while the case is going, and the fines would be high enough that he may not re-open.

Think about the mafia. Just because the Don may not commit crimes himself, he is legally responsible for every single crime committed by the mob, just as every other mobster is legally responsible for their own actions and actions they encourage others to take.

The reason no crimes were mentioned in the news report is because charges haven't been filed yet. The DA probably figured it would be easier to shut down the site than try to get enough info on the webhost, PB, and the regulars to prosecute them all. I'm doubting they'd be that generous a second time around, especially if PB were to try to escape prosecution by moving the site overseas but still keeping his name on it and his hand in it.

Offline 802.11

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-3
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2006, 04:02:34 AM »
Think about the mafia. Just because the Don may not commit crimes himself, he is legally responsible for every single crime committed by the mob, just as every other mobster is legally responsible for their own actions and actions they encourage others to take.

That's not true.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2006, 07:13:34 AM »
How so is it not true? They can, and have, prosecuted crime lords for their gang's illegal actions, whether or not they were doing it.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2006, 07:25:56 AM »
Yeah it's called conspiracy law.

Anyone in the hierarchy of a criminal enterprise can be prosecuted and held liable for any illegal activities and damages that result from the illegal activities of those operating below him.

It's a very powerful piece of legislation.