Author Topic: Prank done with phone buzzer and 55 gal drum  (Read 4827 times)

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
Prank done with phone buzzer and 55 gal drum
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:12:14 AM »
Here'e another phone prank from the Practical Joker.

The Noise War

There was a row of shops in a big long metal building and these two guys got into a noise war. One kept blaring his music, even though his neighbor asked him a number of times to keep it down. So the other guy finally takes action.

He gets one of those super loud phone buzzers that you hear out on car lots. So he puts this inside a 55 gallon drum and fastens the opening against the common wall. Now, whenever his phone rings, there's a horrendous noise coming out of the neighbor's wall, way more powerful than the music.

To enhance the effect,this guy will drive down the street, sit in his van with binoculars to observe and then call his phone number on a cell phone. Or, if he is going to be away for a while, he will go to a pay phone, dial his number and then just walk away and leave the phone off the hook.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
Re: Prank done with phone buzzer and 55 gal drum
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »
That is ruthless. 
But where do you get a used 55-gallon steel drum?  A cheap new one's around $200-250.  Plastic would be cheaper ($50) but is it just as loud? 
I'm intrigued, what a great science experiment!
This one has horn, bell, chime, and vibrating chime: http://www.hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml;$sessionid$YLI0BXT12ZZ14ZEXAIBCFEQ?CATID=15305&PRODID=17951

MegaKitsune

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:46:34 PM »
That is ruthless. 
But where do you get a used 55-gallon steel drum?  A cheap new one's around $200-250.  Plastic would be cheaper ($50) but is it just as loud? 
I'm intrigued, what a great science experiment!
This one has horn, bell, chime, and vibrating chime: http://www.hellodirect.com/catalog/Product.jhtml;$sessionid$YLI0BXT12ZZ14ZEXAIBCFEQ?CATID=15305&PRODID=17951

I'm assuming the dude worked at a factory where they just toss the drums out, and yes plastic would be quieter than steel.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:37:52 AM »
That is ruthless. 

Yeah, way to punish the neighbors!

But no, the plastic ones wouldn't be anywhere near as loud, because the steel of the drum resonates and amplifies the sound as it channels it into the wall.

I'm just wondering how he explains a 55-gallon drum hanging off his living room wall to his house guests...

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:06:37 AM »
Yeah, of course the plastic ones are quieter but I was just postulating for people who may not work at a factory / industrial site... I had been very tempted to try this myself on my wall-sharing neighbor over this weekend.  Instead, I'll keep it in reserve as an ace up my sleeve.  She's an old bitch but it hasn't gotten to this point YET.  Of course the container I have is more like a steel garbage can, not as big but it'll get the god damn job DONE.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 10:09:05 AM »
Go down to the railroad yard and steal one of the ones that the bums use for a fireplace.

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:44:52 PM »
I'm just wondering how he explains a 55-gallon drum hanging off his living room wall to his house guests...

yeah, good one. i'm sure he entertains people on a regular basis.

as a stranger its a funny idea, completely.
but as a friend, its excessive.