Author Topic: star 67 doesn't work? What do I do?  (Read 9700 times)

Offline tgwaty

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
star 67 doesn't work? What do I do?
« on: December 08, 2008, 10:43:17 AM »
Made a couple of prank calls last night to the same number.  I usually don't call the same number twice since most people wouldn't bother to report a one-time call.  But this time I got such a rise from the first call, I couldn't resist.  Made both calls dialing *67 first. 

Little while later I got a call from a cop. He was uncertain what to do since he was expecting an angry black woman to answer (I was using just such a soundboard.)

Sounded like he was calling from victim's location, not sure since I don't have caller id myself.  But my impression is that I was identified by caller id, not that the cops did something special to find me.

What's up with that?  State was Missouri. 

Offline Lestan Gregor

• PLA Bitch
  • 1337 13V3L: +64/-30
Re: star 67 doesn't work? What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »
um....*57? or did you not know about such things?

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »
*67 doesn't block all caller ID so it is definitely *NOT* the choice for stealthy pranking... 800 numbers and many business lines can see the caller ID even if you *67 and there are tricks if the person you called is using voip where they can see your number. Also if the person you called dials *57 to initiate a Call Trace and then files a complaint with the cops (which seems to be what happened) the phone company will release your number to the police and you will get a phone call.

op diverting or using a service such as $poofcard is better... setting up your own asterisk box is best of all...

Also... get f**king caller ID for yourself... why wouldn't you have it?!?

Soundboard pranks are f**king lame...

And.. invest in some heroin and a gun and shoot up yourself and your school in no particular order... yeah.. that about covers it.  :nonsense:
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
*67 doesn't block all caller ID so it is definitely *NOT* the choice for stealthy pranking... 800 numbers and many business lines can see the caller ID even if you *67 and there are tricks if the person you called is using voip where they can see your number. Also if the person you called dials *57 to initiate a Call Trace and then files a complaint with the cops (which seems to be what happened) the phone company will release your number to the police and you will get a phone call.

The reason 800 numbers and some business lines can see your number is because they use ANI, which is similar to but different from Caller ID.

Took 100 posts but I FINALLY contributed something on topic. GO ME!  :nonsense:

Edit: ANI II Digits
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:34:16 PM by jenn »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »
Always prank long distance and into other phone company territories.  That way, you can't have the local police cooperating with the local phone company.  They'd have to go through a lot more BS to do anything to you, which they're unlikely to do anyway unless you're threatening or harassing someone.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »
Get skype and pay the fifteen bucks with a pre-paid gift card registered under a fake name.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline tgwaty

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
thanks for the info.