Author Topic: Credit card/check fraud  (Read 3040 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Credit card/check fraud
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:49:39 AM »
I don't really plan on committing fraud, but I was recently robbed, and I'm really curious about this now.

How hard is it to get pinned down for selling stolen checkbooks, credit cards, etc? I canceled everything of mine the next day, but I know some people don't notice things are gone for days or sometimes weeks. The credit card companies usually don't investigate too hard (at least according to one painfully honest rep at Discover) since they end up getting an insurance settlement anyway. Banks don't care too much since they have the FDIC. I'd think that the breaker would be the merchants taking the checks/cc payments, and if you're getting someone else's credit cards/checkbook, you probably know where to go with them, anyway.

Has anyone else been robbed like this? What was your experience with it? I really don't care about the plastic, but the fuckers got my computer and all my composition notebooks for music. I know I probably won't get either back, but I really want to see the bastards who did this get nailed, hard.

Re: Credit card/check fraud
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:00:22 AM »
I don't know in da US of A but where I live Cops would be laughing at you for something like this instead of being any helpful.

I guess that the insurance CO will investigate a bit depending on the amount but most than probably you can run with a number of small scams before you get caught since investigation agencies set priorities and well 5000 bucks are not a priority anywhere anymore.

Good luck matey.

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 05:14:58 AM »
I only got a credit card about a month back, and I haven't used it yet, so I don't really know much about it. What happens if someone lifts my card? When I realize it's gone and call the C-C-Company to cancel it, only to discover that 500 issues of The Amazing Spiderman are on my account, what happens then? Do I have to pay for it still? Does the issuing company undergo an investigation, or only for certain amounts of money?
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:48:41 PM »
You Need AMERICAN EXPRESS with FREE Identity theft insurance!
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline I-baLL

• OMG Mod
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-7
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »
From what I understand the credit card companies don't get an insurance settlement. Instead the merchant with whom the stolen cards were used has to return the money back to the credit card companies. So in CC theft it's the merchants who get screwed and not the CCs.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:30:18 AM »
I think I implied that. That's why larger companies sometimes take ridiculous anti-fraud measures; they don't get to keep any of the stolen money they make.

Frog; if your card gets lifted, immediately cancel it and put a freeze or flag on your credit report. After that, get your last 2 months of statements PLUS the transactions for the current month and let your CC issuer know what purchases you didn't make. The CC company will initiate an investigation, usually aided by the police (since you have to also file a criminal report). Another thing you can do is call your card issuer now and require verbal authorization from you for any purchases above a certain amount. The thing that sucks about that, though, is you have to call your bank any time you want to spend more than that amount in one shot or in one day, etc, etc.

Offline Reverend Greed

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +42/-7
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 05:24:12 PM »
I just wanted to add a few points to this discussion.

If you have a credit card, and it becomes lost or stolen and someone charges a bunch things to it, then the bank takes the loss.

If you have a credit card, and there is an unauthorized charge on your statement, then the merchant takes the loss.  This would be like:  you canceled a magazine subscription but they are still charging you.  Or you dispute a service or product with a particular merchant and they won't give you your money back.

You have 60 days from your billing statement to report any suspicious transactions.  This is the law entitled Regulation E.  Also known as Error Resolution.

Banks are insured for lost or stolen credit cards and will take the loss because it better serves the community.  Also, banks want to support the merchants by continuing to accept their customer's credit cards.  For example:  Lets say a bank always made the merchant take the loss for a lost or stolen card - that merchant may decide not to accept a particular bank's credit card.  That would be like Walmart saying, "We will not allow Bank of America credit cards because of all the fraud associated, and the bank reverses our charges."  That would upset a lot of Bank of America customer's who shop at Walmart and may switch to a bank that Walmart accepts.  So, that's why banks take the loss.

Also, banks are insured and do pay a monthly premium for loss protection.  How this works is this:  Depending on the bank they choose their deductible.  Lets say a bank's deductible is $50,000.  The bank has to take losses up to $50,000 before their insurance company will pay the losses over that amount.  Thus, a bank will only lose $50,000 during a period of a year, then the insurance company will pick up the rest.

If a bank has losses way out of control, then the insurance company will raise premiums, therefore, that difference is passed to the consumer in the form of higher rates, fees, etc.
Reboot America

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 06:07:14 PM »
Also, in the US and Canada, the person whose name the card is signed under is responsible for the first $50 of fraudulent charges. Whether this means the first $50 against a $300 total fraud, or the first $50 against each fraudulent charge, I don't know.

Today there was an article in the newspaper about credit card fraud. Something of interest was:
...The numbers, however, cannot be independently confirmed as there is no federal clearing house as there is in the United States.  Businesses are not required by law to report when thieves hack into their system....Financial institutions and cell phone companies have been accused of being major culprits in allowing identity theft to thrive because they don't want to drive customers away by screening them too vigorously. "The banks just write it off as the cost of doing business"
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:59:02 AM by frog »
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Woofcat

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-2
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 06:53:43 AM »
Total and last i checked no-one did this anymore.

Credit card companies just take the money from the merchants who had stuff bough with the stolen card.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:11:37 PM »
no, greed is right. He doesn't work in the banking industry for nothing