Author Topic: AT&T home phone repair sucks  (Read 3540 times)

Offline becki1974

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +14/-23
AT&T home phone repair sucks
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:00:58 AM »
AT&T home phone repair sucks, Ive been without a home phone for a few days now. I pick up my phone no dial tone,nothing. The line rings but the phone its self does not. I called the automated repair line and it gave a computer generated response that "a main line is down,so I may hear crosstalk or noise" I keep picking up the phone hoping to catch some crosstalk but so far have heard nothing. The repair guy should be at my house August 14th,according to the computer generated response that I got.
Forgot to add that Im going to follow him around and take pics if he does anything interesting,maybe if Im nice he will let me snoop around the repair van.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:06:51 AM by becki1974 »

Offline delysid

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-4
Re: AT&T home phone repair sucks
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 08:37:55 AM »
I used to be able to hear Radio Deutsche Welle over my landline when I was growing up. Now that was cool. I know it is not exactly crosstalk, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Offline becki1974

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:56:43 AM »
I used to be able to hear Radio Deutsche Welle over my landline when I was growing up. Now that was cool. I know it is not exactly crosstalk, but pretty cool nonetheless.
I can remember when I was little (early 80's) hearing crosstalk and other things over the phone and thats what actually sparked my interest in all things telephone.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:09:53 AM by I-baLL »

Offline johnnyhacker

• Telco 0wner
  • Post Whore
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-19
  • One plus the number means long distance!
    • The truth will always be rewritten into what others want, it happens to every one.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:24:23 PM »

Forgot to add that Im going to follow him around and take pics if he does anything interesting,maybe if Im nice he will let me snoop around the repair van.

i think that the best thing i always see when techs come out to the house is when they leave their notebooks and binders open when they go back out to the truck, and when that happens it's always good to snap pics of all the pages you can, without losing the page the tech was on... cool shit to keep in mind ;)
Your signature will only be rewritten, along with your posts when you have not logged in for a while.

Offline becki1974

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 12:55:44 PM »

i think that the best thing i always see when techs come out to the house is when they leave their notebooks and binders open when they go back out to the truck, and when that happens it's always good to snap pics of all the pages you can, without losing the page the tech was on... cool shit to keep in mind ;)
Thats exactly what I plan on doing.

Offline Telcogal

• Addicted to the Arcade
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-2
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 10:52:18 PM »
Have you tested your line at the TNI?  They are lying about a main line being down.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 09:28:23 AM »
Get wireless service and dump your land line.  Cell phones never get cross talk or go down.  When you call to cancel your service, be sure to let them know that's the reason.

Offline becki1974

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
Have you tested your line at the TNI?  They are lying about a main line being down.

I tried earlier,Its a 101 degrees and I live at a HUGE apt complex, 20+ buildings (My apt # is 4113 for example) and when I went outside to find it a policeman(lots of policemen live here for free) asked me what I was looking around the bushes for,I said I dropped a ring.Maybe I will look around tonight when its dark and cooler.My stepdad installs security and alarm systems so hes got all kinds of telephone related tools and buttsets maybe I can get him to check it tonight because he knows how all this works.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:26:11 PM by becki1974 »

Offline becki1974

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 01:06:32 PM »
Get wireless service and dump your land line.  Cell phones never get cross talk or go down.  When you call to cancel your service, be sure to let them know that's the reason.
I have thought about doing this several times,but with my two teenage daughters always on the phone I'm scared that the cell phone bills would be really high due to the minutes they would use. Ive thought about getting them Cricket cell phones but Ive got 3 lines with cingular and 2 years worth of contracts left.Also Crickets service is not that good in Tennessee.