Author Topic: Maintaining Anonymity 2008  (Read 3617 times)

Offline midnitesigma

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-2
Maintaining Anonymity 2008
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:06:51 PM »
With newer security measures in place along with stringent laws, maintaining anonymity is even harder. One can argue that new technologies pave the way for loopholes but even those can be easily trace-able.

Payphones especially in the East Coast are on the decline with cellphones taking their place. I've been doing some reading and it seems even VOIP calls are to an extent trace-able given that the person receiving the call goes out of his way to report any incidents. I recall an old post on the forum calling for a PLA reunion, it'd be nice to see how people these days are covering their tracks when it comes to prank calls and such.

1. Pay-As-You-Go cellphones?
In some countries you can easily obtain a replaceable or rechargeable gsm chip for the phone. Dump'em if you have to and use new ones on the phone. With CDMA technologies no such chip is available.

2. Calling Cards?
They are still linked to the place of origin, thus narrowing your point of origin.

3. VOIP?
There are new technologies that track the call to the ISP, much like the issue with piracy. Its up to the ISP if they want to release your IP address.

4. Payphones(if you don't mind standing out in the cold)
Let's face it, they're harder to locate nowadays and more of a nuisance to find privacy when talking on them.

I'd love to hear everyone's take on this.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Re: Maintaining Anonymity 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
I keep a never used pay as  you go phone registered to a fake name across town in addition to my normal one.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline midnitesigma

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:41:42 PM »
It'd be pretty funny if you got the pay-as-you-go phone from the same 7Eleven that the call was made to in the contest submission.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »
There's most of an entire country between us. I do however want to visit that place sometime this summer I think.

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline midnitesigma

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
Why 7Eleven? I mean there's a billion different places to check out. Unless you've been cactus'ing them for a long time. It'd be pretty funny to watch'em freak out after you whisper cactus to the clerk.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
I personally prank called this one 7-11 in Austin every day for a month or so. Then a friend and I were waiting for a movie at the theatre and I showed him how to get that same 7-11 with GOOG-411. I forgot about it and a month later I called that 7-11 and the guy ranted at me for a long time about how I call every day. Apparently my friend was doing it when I wasn't, so the 711 people decided we were one person.

Offline midnitesigma

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »
That's hilarious but being the paranoid freak that I am, wouldn't they be able to trace your call? Does Goog411 actually show up on caller id instead? I know you can use Goog411 for free calls to businesses.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 03:55:58 PM »
I think most of us really don't care that much about anonymity. I mean, unless you're making repeated, harassing calls to the same person, there really isn't that much that the authorities or a phone company is going to do. Most people don't know what *57 is, and businesses generally get pranked enough that it usually takes a while for someone to do something (plus, there's the added benefit of not always getting the same employee).

For example, I work for a call center, and the only time we EVER report anything to either a phone company or to the authorities is someone who actually got away with ordering using a stolen cc (and the order went through and shipped) or when someone finds a way to defraud us another way (my favorite was when someone got our UPS acct number and requested that we ship international packages for him and bill "his" UPS account number, resulting in us eating nearly $5000 for shipping in two months). I don't think that was ever resolved, though.

When I worked at Officemax, it was the same thing. We pursued fraud, but we never reported phone calls. We didn't have caller ID, and non-managers were forbidden from using *69 or *57, but managers never used them either.

From an Open Pantry (kind of like a 7-11/Safeway), a friend and I collect called one person about a dozen times over the course of a month. When that got boring, I would either A) call the guy at work and bill it to his wife or B) call them at home and bill it to his job. We always did it from the same gas station, and would generally call around the same time, so it should have been easy to trace, but instead he just ordered (and paid) for a collect call block and third party billing block on his line. He was sort of old, though.

I'm not saying you don't need to worry about anonymity. I'm just saying that it's not that big of a deal if you actually can be traced, unless you're doing something blatantly illegal. Then, I'd recommend buying a pre-paid phone from a retail store you don't normally shop at and just pay for it and the minutes in cash. Only use it for your harassing calls and either A) destroy it (I recommend either acid or bleach) and then "drop" out out your car window on a highway or B) load it with minutes and leave it somewhere like a bar or bowling alley where it's likely to be stolen. Let someone else be around when the vultures start circling.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:46 PM »
Yeah exactly (I worked at a call center with the same policy). I also cuncur about destroying that phone, though I think it'd be fun to wipe the fingerprints off then stick it in a baggie full of packing peanuts and dump it in a manhole. That way the coppers can run around comically chasing the signal while I flee the country.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
If that's the idea, you can ensure it keeps moving for a long time by wiping the fingerprints, rolling it in a newspaper, and then stowing it away on a bus/train. It will jump towers continuously, and it could take a few hours before they realize it keeps running the same route.

(idea blatantly stolen from a book, btw. but it does work)

Offline midnitesigma

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
Wow, you guys definitely make interesting points. If I ever need to ditch a phone while being chased I'd definitely try to either destroy it or frame someone with it. I guess it was just over paranoia about being traced.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 08:39:16 PM »
You should tie it to some balloons and let it fly away.

Offline johnnyhacker

• Telco 0wner
  • Post Whore
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-19
  • One plus the number means long distance!
    • The truth will always be rewritten into what others want, it happens to every one.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 12:42:45 AM »
just so you *57 only grabs CPN.
Your signature will only be rewritten, along with your posts when you have not logged in for a while.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
That's good to know as well. I thought it trapped ANI and that the phone company just got subscriber data from that. But, as you know, I'm eternally a n00b when it comes to most actual telephony hardware.