Author Topic: DS Organize 3.2  (Read 2654 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
DS Organize 3.2
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Since there are a few other people here into Nintendo DS homebrew, I thought I'd post this here. I'll also clean it up (do some cross links) and post it on my site so you crazy bloggers can digg it.

Dragonminded, the maker of DrugWarsDS, YoungMX media player, and DS Organize released a "final" version of DS Organize. From the sound of his devblog, he's finally gotten fed up with dealing with stupid questions or the homebrew scene in general. More than likely, however, he's just going through one of his all-too-common emo mood swings.

Just like all other updates since the 2.9 "Neo-Flash" version of DS Organize, this version is mainly bugfixes and compatibility updates. Since libfat and wifilib have been updated, the web browser now supports SSL and cookies, which is cool. It still has trouble authenticating within some networks, but you can always use Bunjalloo for that.

From the browser, you still can't force .txt or .html files to open up in edit mode as far as I can tell, which is pretty lame. I like the idea of using my DS as a mobile html editor, but the only way you can open files in the editor is to create a shortcut to the file first, specifying "alternate" in the shortcut.

IRC is much more stable, which is cool, but I really don't use IRC, so it has no use to me.

the Homebrew Database supports the use of custom databases (actually, it has for the last few versions). I've yet to find a hbdb that's better, or more complete than the one Shaun currently maintains, but it will be helpful when he finally pulls the plug on this project altogether.

Homebrew booting with auto-dldi patching works... sort of. If you use an alternate firmware for your device (ie: running Supercard firmware on your Cyclo product for better rom support or using the M3 firmware on your R4 for better homebrew support), the DLDI patch tends not to load correctly. I'm not really sure why this is, but it works fine from my MMD. The Chism homebrew launcher works very well for any DLDI device, but still doesn't work correctly booting DSLinux (which is just as well, since the MMD has no RAM support).

Overall, it's sad to see this project end, but it's easily one of the most stable programs out for the DS, and its near-commercial quality continues to be an inspiration to other coders.

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
Re: DS Organize 3.2
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »
yeah i heard that a while ago, that is very sad.  He went bananas on a guy on IRC that posted bad stuff about him.  I personally will miss the DSOrganzie updates, i like the interface far more than monshell (blasphemy i know, it's just me)

rip dso. :(

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:45:14 PM »
The functionality is so much nicer than Moonshell, too. Does Moonshell auto-dldi? Does Moonshell have built-in applications that remove the need for a reset? Does Moonshell maintain its own wi-fi profile so nothing has to be written to firmware?

I think the answer to all of those, and more, is no. I just use Moonshell for audio/video

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
yeah the m3 uses moonshell and it autopatches dldi when i load the homebrew that works.  I just use my DS anymore for listening to mp3's and playing new releases when they show up on rom-news

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »
I just use mine for playing roms and repelling chicks.
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »
It's great at repelling chicks.

Since my laptop doesn't have a battery, and US Cellular charges out the ass for internet access, it's nice to use my DS for teh internets when I'm away from home. And now that it has cookie support, I can even post on this forum from it (I haven't yet. But I could!)

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:20:47 AM »
cookie support??  ;) Wifizoo FTW.