Author Topic: Unlocking a US Cellular RAZR V3M for use with Verizon  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
Unlocking a US Cellular RAZR V3M for use with Verizon
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
I have a RAZR V3M phone from US Cellular and I'd like to unlock it for use with Verizon.

I've been to Hack The RAZR and I've been having some trouble finding the right information.

Anybody know of a tutorial or a website that might help with this?

Offline Matt

• Andromeda Networks
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-4
  • Andromeda Networks
    • Andromeda Networks
Re: Unlocking a US Cellular RAZR V3M for use with Verizon
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 06:06:34 AM »
I've been wanting to unlock my US CELLULAR phone too, but most of the information seems to be for GSM phones.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you want to leave US CELLULAR? I've found them to be a awesome company.
Matt

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »
Well, I have Verizon and I recently dropped my phone on the ground and broke it. Not having bought phone insurance with my plan (I know, I know), I bought a brand new RAZR V3M off a guy on Craigslist. Turned out it was a USCC phone, so I had to flash the phone's firmware to turn it into a Verizon phone before I could activate it. Hence, this thread.

If any of you are curious about how to do this, go to http://www.hacktherazr.com. Their forums are pretty good, lots of links to tutorials and there are a lot of helpful people on there.

After flashing my phone to the VZW firmware, I started messing around with some of the other hacks and now my phone is fully unlocked and customized, and I'm making a whole new skin for its user interface. This is a lot of fun. If enough people are interested, I might do a set of PLA skins for RAZR phones.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:54:14 AM by Colonel Panic »

Offline Matt

• Andromeda Networks
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-4
  • Andromeda Networks
    • Andromeda Networks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »
I got the exact same phone, just on US CELLULAR, any interesting tips for mods for it?
Matt

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:11:43 PM »
Go here and look in the "USCC" section.

You might be able to do what I did with my phone: Flash it to the Vivo firmware (a much better system than Verizon or USCC) then use a few filesystem and seem hacks to enable it to work on the USCC network. If you're interested in doing this, I'd join those forums and ask if anybody knows a good tutorial for flashing a USCC phone to Vivo and enabling it on the USCC network.

The Vivo firmware is really awesome compared to Verizon's. It has bluetooth capability, a great mp3 player and can be used as a USB flash drive. The Vivo user interface is also really sweet.