Author Topic: Cable modem hacking  (Read 14306 times)

Offline Moose-Alini

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-10
Re: Cable modem hacking
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
actually I spent a bunch of time out of the country to avoid prosecution  *rainbowsmiley*

Offline Sidepocket

• Phone Phreaker Newbs Pwn
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-22
    • http://sidepocket_pro.livejournal.com/

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 02:45:27 PM »
I don't see what having a different mac address has to do with being anonymous if you're still using your own cable modem with your own IP address.

Im talking about changing the cable modems mac address. How else would they track down an IP address to a specific person?

traceroute

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 10:56:26 PM »

traceroute

tracert: It hunts you down....
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline afreak

• Area codes I have had numbers to: 604. 780, 778, 403, 250, 206, 360, 643
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +44/-36
  • Also known as "Alberta"
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 11:30:09 PM »
If you're going to clone your MAC address on your cable modem to get free Internet, you better be discreet and not download like a motherfucker.

We had a case where some idiot was did this and kept changing his MAC address quite frequently--while at the same time saturating our circuits. Thankfully, we knew which up channel he was so we had a truck go out and over a week track down what specific street the twat was on. Eventually we narrowed it down to his house and he ended up settling with us--I heard it was around $6,000 or so in terms of damage to him.

If you really want to steal someone's Internet access, just break your neighbour's WEP or WPA key (if they have one).

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2008, 12:41:57 AM »
Unsecured wifi rules. I never want for anonymous internets when there's twenty unsecured networks at every public venue. I think that publically available wifi is a great thing both for the guy out there checking boards on the street and also the network admin, since now that his wifi isn't secured how could he be blamed for any sketchy traffic on his line? Its kinda like operating a TOR node, privacy through obscurity.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Moose-Alini

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »
If you're going to clone your MAC address on your cable modem to get free Internet, you better be discreet and not download like a motherfucker.

Thats pretty much it. Just dont use more that like fifty percent of the available trunk, and no one will know you were ever there.

Offline Sidepocket

• Phone Phreaker Newbs Pwn
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-22
    • http://sidepocket_pro.livejournal.com/
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »
TIP: If a WI-FI Address has a WEP key, get the phone book and look up their phone number. Geek Squad and others often install Wi-Fi Routers for people and companies. They use the Phone Number as the key and the Last Name of said person to set up the access point.

Dumbasses.  ;D

Offline afreak

• Area codes I have had numbers to: 604. 780, 778, 403, 250, 206, 360, 643
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +44/-36
  • Also known as "Alberta"
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:39 AM »
TIP: If a WI-FI Address has a WEP key, get the phone book and look up their phone number. Geek Squad and others often install Wi-Fi Routers for people and companies. They use the Phone Number as the key and the Last Name of said person to set up the access point.

Dumbasses.  ;D
ISPs also do this too.

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »

Dumbasses.  ;D

All the Subway restaurants in my area love to advertise their free public WiFi; in an act of complete pointlessness one of them did exactly as you posted and then put up a notice in the store's front window with all the information. When asked why they didn't just leave it open the owner of the place replied, "For a little extra security."
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline Moose-Alini

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
All the Subway restaurants in my area love to advertise their free public WiFi; in an act of complete pointlessness one of them did exactly as you posted and then put up a notice in the store's front window with all the information. When asked why they didn't just leave it open the owner of the place replied, "For a little extra security."

Well, at least with WEP, your internet usage isnt broadcast in plain text. Someone needs to take the ten seconds of effort to crack it. And hopefully you aren't doing anything you wouldn't want other people to see without some kind of encryption anyway.

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 12:33:03 AM »
And hopefully you aren't doing anything you wouldn't want other people to see without some kind of encryption anyway.

Like downloading classified documents from Vladimir Putin's website? No, never.
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline Copyright

• Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
Actually it is possible. I recently found a PDF file on my C:\ with the name of CableModemHacking, I must of downloaded it when I was high or something, but I started reading it, and searched for more, but so far I can only find ways to do it to UK models and ISP's. There was some forum where they share mac addresses that they scan with a DHCP bruter or something. Anyone know of an American forum for this, or would PLA be willing to sponsor that too  ;D