Author Topic: Debt Collection  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
Re: Dept Collection
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 11:01:59 PM »
So, I guess I'm the only one that noticed the b in Debt is turned upside down in the thread title huh?
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »
No. You were just the only person mean enough to point it out, meanie.

I remember someone on Cal's saying the same thing about the certified letter thing. Just make sure to make a memo on the check somehow referencing the letter, and take photographs as well as copies of said letter, in case the bank "loses" it. If you can take the check and letter to the post office to inventory before sending, so much the better. The person on Cal's had the idea of sending a check for a realistic percentage (20-30% of the debt) along with a letter saying "if you cash this, you agree to settle the debt for only this amount and write off the remaining balance". It's a legal contract, so if you can produce copies of the letter (along with proof of the letter being sent), the creditor won't have a leg to stand on in court, as you have paid a "fair percentage", and the bank's cashing of the check certifies their compliance with the contract. Since you only owe $400, fronting around $100 would be great, since any defense the bank attempts to mount will cost more than that.

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
So, I guess I'm the only one that noticed the b in Debt is turned upside down in the thread title huh?

I knew something was wrong with the title... I just couldn't put my finger on it...
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
Re: Debt Collection
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »
you should probably not pay it just to experiment and see what happens

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »
There's a Big Beef Bueno episode devoted to exactly that.

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »
I prefer kinder hazelnut bueno.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »
I prefer kinder hazelnut bueno.

As do I, but it doesn't at all compare to the new Fair Trade Brazilian Roast with Chicory Bueno.

Offline xancharmosprime

• corpse
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-4
  • محمد جهاد
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »
When it gets to an outside collection agency, that agency will send you a notice that they are handling the collections.  If you haven't received a notice tell them you would like one mailed to you so you may verify it with to whom the debt is owed.

Here is how most collection calls go:

1. Confirm person is debtor
2. mini-Miranda (yes they have to say they are a debt collector and anything said is for that purpose)
3. annoy the piss out of you about payment and reconfirmation of contact information

Play hardball, if you offer monthly installments, make sure it is lower than what you want to pay, they will always try to get you to pay a higher amount.  If you are gonna pay $20/month, offer $10 and negotiate to $20.

Also don't pay the full amount, make some excuse like you are not paying those ridiculous/unwarranted fees that were tacked on.  Most collector's are capable of lowering the total (by how much varies from account to account) but the collector gets payed on percentage.  Once again start low saying "the bill was $100, the rest are fees which they can shove" and negotiate as low as possible.

They like to say "We may have to send this to legal" means squat, in fact ask them what that means.  Ask them if that was a threat to sue you.  "This may effect your credit score" means squat again.  Ask "Are you reporting this to a credit bureau?" and "Which credit bureau are you reporting this to?"   Another empty intimidation line is "I think you should consult a lawyer."  If you have any debt that is bad to the point of an outside collection agent is calling, you really may need to consult a lawyer.  For the sake of knowing where the collector broke laws.  A fun one to pull there is "I was going to be contacting (insert name of state attorney general here, good to have memorized) tomorrow about a certain collection call that I feel MAY be harassing to see if he had any advise."

The use of the word "may" is important, they will never say "we will do this" and neither should you.  They always say "We MAY do this."

They play hardball with you, play it with them.

A tip to cause them headaches.

Have your roommate answer the phone and have them ask if they are a debt collector or collecting on a debt.  If they say yes, they broke the FDCPA.  If they say no it is gray area being that misrepresentation can also violate the FDCPA.

Also, read up on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).  It is there to protect you.
Corpse not lazy, corpse continue to work.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
Or just pay your goddamn bills on time.

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 10:57:04 AM »
I still haven't received anything from the company except for the occasional email notice. If they are too cheap to afford to even mail me a bill or call me, I'm not too worried.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin