Author Topic: FB to share phone # and addresses with 3rd parties  (Read 1871 times)

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
FB to share phone # and addresses with 3rd parties
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »
don't they already do this with the PLA? i mean, i do not have a FB account, but i see that the PLA is kind enough to let people know when they find personal information such as a phone number, or someone "checks in" somewhere... so is it really news?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110301/ts_yblog_thelookout/facebook-will-soon-share-users-phone-numbers-and-addresses-with-3rd-parties

on a side note, how would the PLA sign up to be one of those 3rd parties?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: FB to share phone # and addresses with 3rd parties
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »
We use www.openbook.org to search for for the string "new phone number" in peoples' status updates.  I think we're able to search for that string even in friends-only updates, but that's completely different than being able to access a users phone number in the phone number field.

I don't have a problem with Facebook sharing any of my info.  Anything that's truly private to me, I would never put on a social networking site.  Maybe FB can finally make those white pages sites useful again, for things other than searching for old people to prank call.