Author Topic: (Almost) Free Movies Thoery  (Read 2509 times)

Offline kickingKIDSforKASH

• DonkeyPuncher
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
(Almost) Free Movies Thoery
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »
So I've been thinking lately about these prepaid visa cards and Redbox movie rental kiosks and how one might be able to get cheap movies if one were so inclined. I used one of these prepaid credit cards before i got a bank account for paying for some online gaming and the amount of info you actually have to use to set up the card is very slim and if i remember correctly is not verified in any case. So if someone were to put say $20 dollars on one and go to a Redbox and rent 17 or 18 movies then toss the card, then i don't think that when the next day rolls around and there is no more money on the card there is any way to trace it back to you. Now im not sure if they are equipped with cameras like some atms or any other security measures, this is just a theory i have had and i wanted to run it by you guys.

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
Re: (Almost) Free Movies Thoery
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
I've never seen any security cameras on a Redbox machine. However there's a good chance that there are cameras in the area of the Redbox. For example there's one in the lobby of the local Walmart near me and the cameras hanging from ceiling belong to Walmart.

There's no way to track a prepaid credit card because you just pay for them and they get activated at the register. Just use cash only. If Redbox notices their inventory is depleted, they'll have to ask loss prevention of the store where the rental is, if there is any footage of the machine at the time when a large quantity of DVDs were rented.

To avoid getting caught, a hat and sunglasses should be suffice. Get the movies, 1 or 2 at a time, from dozens of different machines. If Redbox wanted to investigate this they won't be suspicious of someone renting 1 or 2 movies. They zero in on the guy renting about 2 dozen at the same time.

The above statement is in theory only. I, MIB and the the owner(s) of the PLA website and forums do not encourage any kind of criminal activity.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
It's been awhile since I've used one of those kiosks, but I remember they used to verify my credit/debit card by asking for my zip code.  A prepaid card wouldn't have a zip code, so there'd be no way to verify it.  I've run into this problem before with prepaid cards while attempting to use them for legitimate things.

Also, if it did work, you'd be stuck with a bunch of shiny disc things.  Why would you want those?  It'd be cheaper and more convenient just to download them from bittorrent.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Some of the prepaid cards allow you to register a billing address via their website, but I'm not sure how they verify it. So I don't know if you'd be able to just enter a fake billing address when you register it or not.

Aside from torrents, Netflix is cheap enough to where I dunno why you'd bother with something like this
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
Netflix doesn't have a very big selection of new releases.  Red Box doesn't either, but it's bigger than Netflix.  Piracy is the way to go until the movie companies catch up to our needs.