Author Topic: [Feed] Updates  (Read 2609 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
[Feed] Updates
« on: June 12, 2011, 03:00:10 PM »
Updates

Again, the web discussion board and the guestbook are both working. A slight mistake on our part took out all the CGI scripts on the page. I’ve added alot of new links all over the pages and a free disk ordering script on the free disk page.
Source: Updates

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
Re: [Feed] Updates
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
I added an RSS bot script to the forums again and it appears to be pulling PLA updates from 12 years ago.  Hopefully it's not going to try and give us every update from the past 12 years.  I'll try to stop it from doing this.

And wow, I'd completely forgot that I used to have a page on phonelosers.org for ordering free disks.  Back in the late 90's, we didn't have terrabytes of unused disk space lying around, so most people had hundreds of floppy disks laying around.  We also had AOL and other companies mailing out billions of floppy disks to promote their companies, so I'd compiled a list of phone numbers that could be used to order these disks.  They could be erased and used for cooler things than 10 hours of free America Online.

I guessed at the URL and found it on archive.org.  http://web.archive.org/web/19971221032210/http://phonelosers.org/freedisk.htm

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »
I used to love having a bunch of floppy disks, all organized. Its weird thinking about how much things have changed since those days, not only in the hardware but everything
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline DBK

• Gay people love stereotypes!
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +14/-8
  • TELECOM-MUPISSED OFF@! HAR HAR
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20050128070209/http://telecom-munist.phonelosers.org/

Wow, I can't believe how much of the actual content that shit archives.  I also don't understand their process for what is saved and what is not; it seems entirely arbitrary.  All I know is that the picture of Linear holding a dildo that sparked a million whiny rants is still there as well as cartoons of us destroying HAZMAT and Metera from Cal's Forums.  Also, a beautiful serenade of Meaty's voice mail as performed by Big-E, Judas, and myself.

God, we were stupid.

Well, I still am.

Offline DBK

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:06:39 PM »
PS: What does the above post have to do with PLA updates?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:21:15 PM »
It's kind of like music CDs and DVDs/VHS tapes - having physical media like that was cool, but I'd hate to ever go back to that.  Having instant access to it all is so much better.  I had hundreds of floppy discs, all organized in cases and color-coded.

Offline DBK

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
Yeah, I used to be a CD collecting nutcase fag and now the idea of caring about a hard copy of music is ludicrous to me.  Then again, I also hate RSS feeds.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
There doesn't seem to be an option on this RSS feed script for it not to pull items that are 10 years old, so I set it to grab 50 updates at a time and post them into this new RSS feed section.  We're up to 2005 now, so by tomorrow it should be finished with all the old stuff and it'll only show current site updates. By then I'll probably decide I hate this script and delete it.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
Looks like the feed is current now. Sorry about the pages of updates, everyone!