Author Topic: PLA Ink Stamps  (Read 31641 times)

Offline Jersey

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-5
PLA Ink Stamps
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:55:04 PM »
I was thinking about the suggestion of writing www.phonelosers.com or something like that on all your bills in the  "what have you done to promote the pla (or whatever that thread was called)" thread while dropping some money into the safe at work, and how it would be pretty good advertisement if I wrote the url on the shit load of bills that I get throughout the day...
Then I thought of a simpler and quicker solution... a "www.phonelosers.org" (could really be anything) Ink Stamper thing. I'm sure if enough bills are stamped, there would be a decent amount of traffic brought into the site from it.

And you said you wanted to do more merchandise, RBCP... so if you sold some of these ink stamp things, there'd really be nothing to lose since you might make a little bit off the of the ink stamps themselves, plus there'd be the benefit of the new traffic to the site.

Just a thought...
flame/rant/give me - 1337 points if you wish.

(and so I don't have to edit through it all... I'm talking about those rubber stamp things with the ink pad, if you couldn't figure out what I meant)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:00:18 PM by Jersey »
Aaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
Re: PLA Ink Stamps
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 08:11:42 PM »
stamp stamp

Just out of curiosity, couldn't people bitch to Arbie about stamping money? Isn't that a criminal offense, destroying or defacing money?
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 08:18:59 PM »
The people at "Where's George" have gotten away with it for years

(not that you would know that since your money has more than one color on it)

as long as the bills are not destroyed, I think its perfectly legal
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline M-26-7

• Skinniest Member of the PLA
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +40/-61
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 08:21:36 PM »
Well then, I hope know one finds out I light my cubans with Benjamins lit by burning the natural gas fires on my oil rigs. Not that I smoke Cuban cigars. Heh, heh heh.
<<
>>

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:32:57 PM »
i say we do it, wheres george can do it, why can't we??  Maybe we could say the ink we use is just temporary or something.  that would create tons of website hits at least.

Offline PHISH-PHREAK

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-26
    • 954 Phone Losers
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »
Ive found sharpies pretty effective too.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:55:56 PM »
Sure, I could do this.  I just checked some prices online.  I found one custom rubber stamp that's $4.50 for 1 line of text and $5.50 for 2 lines of text.  But it's not self-inking.  It looks like self-inking stamps might end up being more like $10 - $15.  I'm not sure if people would be willing to spend that much just to promote PLA.  But it's worth a try.  I'll start trying to find some cheaper prices.

Here's the law regarding defacement of currency.  I don't think there's much to worry about with people inking dollars. 

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:28:26 PM »
I'm not sure if people would be willing to spend that much just to promote PLA.

I would!

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »
self inking would be cool for me i'd spend the $15, it's not just to promote PLA Brad, It's *being* PLA. its living and breathing PLA. I am buying a shirt tomorrow, i've been so wrapped up in moving, I'll have to pm you my new address for the one in PayPal will be outdated Feb 28th. :)

Offline M-26-7

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 09:36:28 AM »
We don't need self-inking, though. Plenty of people have ink pads and even if you don't it would probably still be cheaper just to go out and buy one.

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »
The people at "Where's George" have gotten away with it for years

(not that you would know that since your money has more than one color on it)

as long as the bills are not destroyed, I think its perfectly legal

it's quite illegal actually. defacing money is a federal offense.

wheres george people have been told to stop stamping money, and they have. but they cant control what other people do, so thats why it still randomly occurs.

however

stamping every bill you get in the mail with a phone losers stamp, somewhere on the bottom or in a corner margin, that would be really awesome.

this is of course completely different than stamping actual money. or you could just stamp Canadian money.

Offline M-26-7

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association
A good lawyer would argue that  "any other thing" is incredibly inspecific and that bank tellers regularly mark bills with markers. Would this be considered bad?

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 04:29:36 PM »
 :) let's stop crying about it, and do it.  post script: i would like the self inking to stick in my pocket and stamp MORE than just money..  ;)

Offline Jersey

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-5
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 08:26:54 PM »
Wow, wasn't expecting this much interest in the idea.
I myself was wondering how illegal this might be or whatever, but I guess its nothing too bad.

I wasn't even thinking about the self inkers, I was thinking of the kind that just have the ink pad and you have to press it into the ink yourself... but self inkers would be badass.
Self inker or ink pad would be cool either way though.

If you do decide to put these into merchandise (or at least the ink pad kind since they're cheaper), I'd promise to buy a small shirt if you send me a stamp for free since I suggested it ;D
Aaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 08:34:08 PM »
I honestly don't think anybody gives a rat's ass about stamping money. I read somewhere that in order for it to be illegal anyway there has to be fraudulent intent (which is why those machines that squish dollars to make collectable junk aren't illegal).

Even if it was illegal, I doubt anyone would do anything about it. I've been gluing Dobbsheads onto, signing my name on, drawing with sharpies upon, and otherwise beautifying money for years now and nobody's even noticed, let alone tried to punish me for it.

In any case, there's no way that Brad could be liable anyway, as what the customers do with an inkstamp is their own damn business and therefore their fault if they get caught.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"