Author Topic: Telecom companies are blocking VoIP calls  (Read 7104 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Telecom companies are blocking VoIP calls
« on: April 06, 2006, 09:27:54 PM »
VoIP customers around the world are discovering that their calls cannot be connected because telecom companies are blocking the movement of such traffic across the net. Jane Dudman finds out why.

Theodore Peckler lives in Monrovia, California, and is one of the 1.5 million people in the US who uses Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) systems to make cheap phone calls via his cable modem connection. But last year, after five months using the VoIP service from the US provider Vonage without problems, he noticed an abrupt deterioration. "The line was choppy, very choppy and you could not understand any words spoken," he recalls. Puzzled, Peckler ran pingplotter - a program to detect problems such as packet loss and latency (delays in sending over the separate "packets" of internet traffic). It revealed major latency between his cable modem and local internet service provider (ISP).

"I contacted the ISP and was told it did not support third party VoIP," explains Peckler. "Vonage ran a test. It seems the ISP was blocking the cable modem when the Vonage adapter went into use. I ran a test of my own. I ran pingplotter for 10 minutes: no blockage, then I picked up my Vonage phone and placed a call: immediately there was a 100% blockage on the cable modem. This was a continuous loss as long as the phone was used."

Peckler is not alone. Users on VoIP online forums in the US and other countries, including Qatar and Mexico, have been noting similar problems since last year. For while VoIP (often pronounced "voype") might seem like a great deal for the average person, entrenched interests in the telecoms industry see it differently - and are taking action against it.

The rest of the article is here:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1747343,00.html

Offline TerminalEcho

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
    • PLA
Re: Telecom companies are blocking VoIP calls
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 09:21:53 AM »
I read that story too, and it pisses me off.  Phone companies either need to convert their systems to all IP based, or die.  My prediction is they will do the latter.  The telcos will refuse to innovate until they become obsolete (like they aren't already) and the companies will bleed to death.  No one I know has a landline phone anymore.  All I have in my house is OneLink DSL from Speakeasy.  I run asterisk and connect to Broadvoice for PSTN compatability.  I hope these greedy bastards die a terrible death.  Don't count on our representatives in government to back us up either, because they get a hell of a lot of money from these dinosaur telcos.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 10:20:12 AM »
I've been a Vonage user for a couple of years now and so far I haven't experienced anything like this.  My Vonage calls sound great and I'm using Qwest DSL to run it.  Telcos have been fighting all forms of voip forever.  But really, this is a new low for them.

Offline Shadow

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 02:49:32 PM »
gunna be sweet when the anti-competitive lawsuits come down on the ISPs heads, especially with QoS starting to get implimented(the "tiered" internet)

CountyKid

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 08:42:44 AM »
The day that congress gave the internets to the telcos, my dad came home ranting about how evil and wrong AT&T is.

And he's an employee!

z09

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »
Voip sucks!  When ever the power goes out so does your phone line.  Voip is evil!  NOBODY USE ANY Voip services!  THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 05:12:37 PM by z09 »

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 01:32:06 PM »
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

z09

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 05:14:06 PM »
Ha!  Now that I have changed the T to a Y nobody will know what you are talking about. 

EDIT: Also for thoes of you that have a Voip service how easy is it to spoof caller id using that?  I haven't really learned much about that but I hear you can actually choes your outgoing number.  Is that true.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 09:30:38 PM by z09 »

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 02:01:01 PM »
Ha!  Now that I have changed the T to a Y nobody will know what you are talking about. 

Damn you!  I slaved over that for almost twelve minutes!
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:59:24 AM »
Why would a cable company care if you're running a Vonage phone over their system? I'm pretty sure VoIP uses the UDP protocol (like streaming media does), so it shouldn't place undue stress on the network...

Maybe they're in the telephone-providing business too, and they resent the competition?

These users should just switch from cable to their local telco's DSL service and then run Vonage over that!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
Why would a cable company care if you're running a Vonage phone over their system?

Don't pretty much all cable companies offer some form of phone service now? 

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:49:24 AM »
Here on the North side of Chicago we have Comcast Cable. They don't offer any telephone service, as far as I know...

Then again, they have been showing up on the caller-ID a lot lately. Maybe they've been calling us to try and to sell us some.

Offline ryanfido

• I smoke rocks.
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-60
  • You think you know? You have no brain.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »
Here on the North side of Chicago we have Comcast Cable. They don't offer any telephone service, as far as I know...
Then again, they have been showing up on the caller-ID a lot lately. Maybe they've been calling us to try and to sell us some.

the offer here (west coast) is tv, hsi, and phone, all for $33 each if you commit for a year.

i think the phone is a ripoff, but my mom is ripoff-able.