Author Topic: Counterfeiting Money  (Read 5694 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Counterfeiting Money
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:17:43 AM »
Here's something I did in the mid 80's...

I think the law on dollar bills, is that as long as 1/3 of the bill is intact, the store must take it.  So I ripped about 1/4 of a $20 bill off the left side, kept it, and spent the remaining 3/4 of the $20.  Then I got another $20 bill, ripped 1/4 from the right side, and spent that 3/4 of that $20.  Now I had both side pieces of a $20 bill, including the "20" from the corners.

I took a $1.00 bill, carefully cut each of the sides off so the number 1's were missing, and then scotch taped the $20 sides onto both ends.  I now had a $20 bill, made from a $1 bill.  Sure, it had a picture of George Washington on it and it said One Dollar along the bottom, but it sure looked like a $20 if you didn't look too closely.  I went to a store, bought a pack of Life Savers for 59 cents, and collected my $19.41 cents in change.  Profit!

I only did this a couple more times, finally deeming it way too risky. I wouldn't suggest anyone trying this.  Seems like it's be really easy for a cashier to notice something like that.  Especially since these days, a lot of cashiers will take the time to mark your bill with a counterfeit-detecting pen.  It would still mark correctly, but that'd be an extra couple seconds for her to look at your fake $20.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:28:20 AM by rbcp »

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
Re: Counterfeiting Money
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:52:37 AM »
This would be more than too risky in Canada.  Every bill has a different color and a very different design. Cf,

Wow, check this out. Howstuffworks did a segment on counterfeiting.
You will learn about the techniques that you might use if you wanted to create your own counterfeit bills.
http://money.howstuffworks.com/counterfeit.htm
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:07:59 AM by frog »
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:48:35 PM »
I've heard of that, I think they call it "raising" a bill. And I'm pretty sure that the law is that more than 50% must be intact for a store to take it. If it was 1/3 then you could just rip a bill in half and spend the halves seperately.

There's another scam I always wanted to try, which is to get 12 bills and to cut each one at a different interval of 1/12th, 2/12ths, etc. and then shift each piece down one and tape them all back together. Basically you'd have 13 bills that are all 1/12th shorter than they used to be. The only problem is that the serial numbers on the left wouldn't match the ones on the right, but otherwise there's no way to tell that the bill wasn't just damaged and taped back together in a sloppy way.

Offline SloFuze

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +8/-16
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:57:05 PM »
A freind and I did this back in the 90's. He got his paycheck cashed at a grocery store. When we got home, we took 4 of the 20 dollar bills and ripped the 20's off of a corner of each one then cut around the 20. We glued them onto a 1 dollar bill, then he went back to the grocery store and told them they gave him a fake 20. They gave him back a real one. It worked great because the blame was put on them and we made a whole $19.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
*Magus' mom is writing this post*

My son wanted me to come up with a "counterfeiting" story. But since I've never counterfeited money, I will have to change the subject a bit and tell one about "counterfeiting" marijuana. I was in my early twenties and basically living on the streets in Florida. I didn't want a job, of course, hanging out at the beach all day was much more fun! So I had to come up with creative ways of making money. One of these was selling marijuana. Of course, I didn't have any real marijuana to sell, so I had to "make" it. First, I took small twigs with some greenery on them, and rolled them in Elmer's glue. I then proceeded to dip them in parsley (or basil or oregano would work too). The result was an amazing likeness to "real" marijuana buds. I bagged them up and went to the places where people that were partying hung out. I was making $40 a quarter bag on these because I told them it was "Thai bud". Of course, I didn't hang around the same town for long, I'd just to go a different part of Florida and do it again. By the way, I once was stopped by the police and almost arrested for my "fake" marijuana. But they tested it and it didn't turn the solution purple. They let me go.

Offline SloFuze

• PLA Underling
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »
*Magus' mom is writing this post*

Bad Mommy! send pics!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »
I used to pass off rolls of pennies as rolls of quarters.  Taking 4 pennies out of a penny roll made it the right length.  Then wrapping a couple strips of construction paper around the rolls gave them the right thickness.  Slip a quarter wrapped around it, tape the ends shut and you're all set to pay for convenience store items with it.  I got caught several times at it, but always managed to get out of it.  The police put a notice in the paper about it and offered a nice reward, but somehow the dozen or so people that knew I was doing it didn't turn me in.  Once a convenience store lady cracked open the roll as I was walking out the door.  She yelled HEY and I ran out to my car, backed out of my space and kept backing down the street because she ran across the parking lot after me.  That convenience store was across the street from the police  station.

Offline SloFuze

• PLA Underling
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:31:28 PM »
I'm going to try that soon. I got some change rollers from the bank this week and I asked the lady if I needed to write my account number or something on the rolls and she said "no". Bet I only get away with it once though.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »
I'm going to try that soon. I got some change rollers from the bank this week and I asked the lady if I needed to write my account number or something on the rolls and she said "no". Bet I only get away with it once though.

It's a bad idea to try it.  When I did this, there weren't many cameras in convenience stores.  Now every store has a camera.  So even if you don't get caught while passing them, the cops will have a picture of your face to put in the paper.  And it's just too easy for them to discover they're fake before you're even out of the store.  When you're caught, I'm pretty sure you're in secret service jurisdiction.  That would suck.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »
With the way that large bills have been re-designed to look completely different from small bills, it doesn't seem likely that someone would let this go. I know I notice when I see an "old" 20, and I'll generally scrutinize it. Some people may just be more ignorant than I am, though, I guess.

Offline Jo Nathen

• [Almost a 100 count poster]
  • PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-45
  • Messing around with skype and my job has a pbx.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

It's a bad idea to try it.  When I did this, there weren't many cameras in convenience stores.  Now every store has a camera.  So even if you don't get caught while passing them, the cops will have a picture of your face to put in the paper.  And it's just too easy for them to discover they're fake before you're even out of the store.  When you're caught, I'm pretty sure you're in secret service jurisdiction.  That would suck.

I used to work at a CVS and can say - try there also. There are a load of cams but the back of the store or the photo lab is sometimes out of the cam view......I think I have some washers laying around as well.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:56:30 PM »
With the way that large bills have been re-designed to look completely different from small bills, it doesn't seem likely that someone would let this go. I know I notice when I see an "old" 20, and I'll generally scrutinize it. Some people may just be more ignorant than I am, though, I guess.

Cashiers aren't normally hired for their intelligence.  This is why I was able to pull this off back then.  This one guy I worked with at a 7-Eleven accepted a half of a $20 bill once.  Another lady I worked with had a guy tell her that he gave her a $20 when he really only gave her a $10.  She believed him and gave him an extra $10.  A cashier at Wal-mart accepted a $200 bill with a picture of George Bush on it.  People are dumb.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »
I like to carry around lots of $2 bills with me, because when I pay for things with one, the cashier will sometimes (not very often, but it has happened) mistake it for a five.

Offline spsmckintra

• You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-18
  • In Algeria, heroin lives in police evidence locker
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 05:46:23 AM »
I have a 20 Amero coin. Legal tender. "Union of North America" Almost passed it but would not like free room and board for doing so.........
-All information located on this site is the property of Phone Losers of America INC. Besides all that copyright bullshit, if you even THINK about stealing from us you will be beat-in with your own cact-us!