Author Topic: Health Review: Mono  (Read 4230 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Health Review: Mono
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »
So Raptor and I are trading threads. He's going to review something musical for me, and in return, I get to review something non-musical for a change.

I'd like to ask you to step into my world.
I'm outside, on a break at work. I'm still pissed off from the last phone call I took. I slap my pockets; fuck, I'm out of cigarettes. I look for another self-destructive chap outside. I walk the break area. Go back inside, check with a few friends. Apparently everyone's bone dry, or just sick of bumming to me. Frustrated, I storm back outside so I can curse more freely. My foot catches something - the ashtray. The ashtray filled with less than half-smoked cigarettes.
I have officially hit bottom.
That's right, I smoked a complete stranger's reburn. They could have had herpes, they could have had avian flu, but you know what? I wanted a fucking cigarette.
And I got one.
A day or two shy of a week later, I wake up to a splitting headache and flu-like symptoms. My body aches, I'm running a terrible fever, and it hurts to swallow. I go to the student health center, very concerned about a recent mumps outbreak, and they give me the good news. My stranger gave me fucking mono.
For anyone who hasn't had mono, it's easily one of the fucking greatest semi-long term illnesses I've gotten to endure. I'm now on my ass at least 80% of my time awake, which (according to my doctor) should be for no more than 14 hours per day. Crazy, because I thought I was 20, not 10. I'm not allowed to go to work, my brother (who I share an apartment with) won't let me in half the rooms because he fears I'm contagious, and I'm pretty much quarantined to my bed, my couch, and the bathroom. I have to drink at least 10 glasses of fluids, can't smoke, can't drink alcohol, can't play tackle sports, can't engage in rough sexual play, can't hold my viola up to my fucking throat, much less stand long enough to get a good practice in, I can't talk well enough to be understood worth half a damn, and I have this to look forward to for the next 10 days to fucking 6 months. I'm pretty sure I have to go back to class after the weekend, don't know how that's supposed to work.

Sorry, my review turned into whining.
Mono - A disease that infects the spleen and liver, causing them to become enlarged, soft, and susceptible to damage. Also causes body aches, fatigue, sore throat, general discomfort, ear pain, large amounts of mucus buildup and drainage, and other unique symptoms.
Pros - You have an excuse to sit on your ass all day and pop pills. The symptoms mask my nicotine withdrawal, since I'm never fucking smoking again after this. You tend to lose weight, because you can't fucking stomach food and either piss out or drain (as snot) all the liquids you take in. You get to find out just how many movies you can watch in a day, or if you can really read an entire novel in one sitting.
Cons - It hurts too much to fucking think. Any muscles you have built up will be long gone if you stick to the prescribed amount of bedrest (ie. all your waking time). You lose your sex drive (you either can't focus because of the pain or because of the pills, your choice). You can't fucking stomach food, but you need a healthy diet to get better = more pills. 10 glasses of water in a day + no food = pissing every 45 minutes (and don't forget, it hurts your head and ears to walk). No kissing. No alcohol. No tackle sports. No rough sex. No strenuous activity. All symptoms but fatigue will generally fade in a 10-day cycle, but these cycles (along with the fatigue) can persist for up to 6 months. Oh yeah, your spleen can also rupture in your sleep, killing you.

I've had a 3 year bout with strep throat, an entire winter ruined by influenza, a few hospital trips because of severe tonsillitis, the shame of a tonsillectomy just before graduation, and a small bout with bronchitis. This still is easily the fucking worst time I've ever had sick.

So, if you can't think of a way to spend a week or even a few months but know you want to spend it in utter misery, may i recommend mono?

0/10

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
Re: Health Review: Mono
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »
Of one of my friends that got mono, he was basically bed rest for ~6 months, in and out of the hospital for the next 2 years and it ended with doctors removing a grapefruit sized tumor from his liver...

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
Whoa. That sucks. My physical symptoms are starting to decrease. I overemphasize the pain/discomfort currently, but for the last 5-6 days I've definitely been delirious when I wasn't pilled up. I also think that my liver/spleen are getting a little less sensitive, so I may be starting to kick this, but I'm still not supposed to leave for anything other than my doctor's appointment and to visit my parents until my break is over. 

Offline M-26-7

• Skinniest Member of the PLA
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +40/-61
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 03:21:32 AM »
My foot catches something - the ashtray. The ashtray filled with less than half-smoked cigarettes.
I have officially hit bottom.
I know some like this. We call him Clipper. Now you are known as Clipper.

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:37:42 PM »
You can't write like Chuck and then say having a nicotine addiction is hitting bottom. Taking a tour of India does not elevate you to nirvana.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »
Get out the lye.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 03:53:13 PM »
You can't write like Chuck and then say having a nicotine addiction is hitting bottom. Taking a tour of India does not elevate you to nirvana.

I wouldn't say my writing style is THAT much like Chuck. He's someone that's helped develop my writing style, but there have been other authors as well. I'd consider Chuck more profane and bitter.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »
I once thought I had mono for an entire year.  Turns out I was just really bored.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:44:13 PM »
I once thought I had mono for an entire year.  Turns out I was just really bored.

I hear ya...I can't wait til my car is working and I can drive away.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 09:59:28 PM »
Shit. I just sneezed all over my Windows box (my brother's computer).

Mono - now fun for the whole family!

Seriously, though, on a scale of 0-10 (10 being the worst)
Pain - down to like, a 3 coz it still hurts to yawn really hard and to sneeze
Discomfort - 4. I'm still consistently conscious of the back of my throat and my right ear.
Fatigue - 1. Nicotine withdrawals are keeping me from being tired right now, but I also haven't exerted myself that much.

It kinda sucks because now I want a cigarette, but I know that's just going to make everything all shitty again and I'd be back on square one on quitting. I also want to go play baseball, but I have to keep reminding myself that though it's beautiful outside, I'm still sick.

Fuckin' a.

Offline gangals

• Merp?
  • PLA Nation Citizen
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-31
  • ummm cacti
    • http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1879/bagmanonfire4pb.jpg
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:04:37 PM »
Out of work for a month: -$1000

Not buying cigs for a month: +$1000

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • Douchenozzle
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 07:15:13 AM »
No shit. The money I save not smoking this month will go toward either my cell phone bill or my insurance. I'm not too disappointed to be done.

Offline splynt0r

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +19/-10
  • Rip. Sample. Mash. Share
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 09:09:53 AM »
makes me wanna quit as well.  :-X

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »
I quit cold turkey about 5 weeks ago. I have dreams of smoking.

Offline mrpeanut

• PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-30
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 11:08:59 PM »
you do write like chuck

what if you made out with a chick/dude who has mono?

Do you get stereo?!