Author Topic: How I got a new car for under $1,000  (Read 2956 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
How I got a new car for under $1,000
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:19:06 AM »
In the early 90's, I started searching wrecked car lots for my perfect car.  After a few weeks of looking, I found it.  A 1990 Dodge Probe, completely crushed and mangled beyond repair.  Most of the windows were broken out and a large portion of the engine was missing.  The lot owner sold it to me for $450.

Days later, I stole a 1990 Dodge Probe from a mall parking lot and took it home.  I'd purchased a repair manual on the Probe from Auto Zone and practiced hot wiring my own Probe.  Hot wiring the Dodge Probe at the mall took less than 10 minutes.

Using a lighter, I was able to melt away all the dashboard plastic around the VIN number plate on my wrecked Probe, so I had about an 1/8th of an inch between the VIN plate and the metal that it was attached to.  Then I used a Dremel tool to cut it off of the dash from underneath.

To remove the VIN plate from my new Probe, I used needle nose pliers to bend up the edges, then the Dremel to cut it out.  I put the new VIN plate in it's place and secured it with super glue.  It was impossible to see that anything was out of place with it.   From there, I just had to throw away the license plates and register my new Probe with the DMV. 

I took my new Probe to a cheap paint shop that painted it the same color as the wrecked Probe, which was dark blue.  Then I sped everywhere for the next month, trying to get a cop to catch me.  It's amazing that it took me a month to finally get pulled over.  The cop didn't look at my VIN but he did run my plates, gave me my ticket and I was on my way.  I just wanted to test the car with a cop, to make sure I wouldn't be arrested when pulled over.

My new 1990 Dodge Probe only had 37,000 miles on it when I got it and I used it every day for the next 5 years.  This story is a big fat lie.  I never did this, but I always wanted to.

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
Re: How I got a new car for under $1,000
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 06:47:08 PM »
I kinda found myself doubting it as I read, simply because it was ford that made the probe, not dodge.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:51:55 AM »
Man this would be an awesome idea, though, if it could actually be pulled off.

Could it be pulled off, though?  I was hoping someone could tell me if it was feasible.  I really wanted to do this a long time ago and even looked through a few junk yards for some wrecked new cars.  I know there are other serial numbers on cars besides the VIN, but it seems as long as you swapped the VIN the whole thing would work.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 07:55:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't even think dealerships keep inventory on the serial #'s on individual components of the car, but to be safe I'd try to get the serial # imprinted on the engine acid washed off, or something, since you're not gonna change something stamped in metal.

I'd imagine it could be feasible, but you'd have to do that paint job pretty fucking fast and make sure your neighbors never saw the original color on the probe, otherwise the police might start digging and find that the title on your car was transferred over from the junkyard.

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 08:17:56 AM »
The pink slips have the last mileage and the value of the car. There would be a huge disparity there.
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums