Author Topic: Phone companies levy new fee for not making calls  (Read 2007 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Phone companies levy new fee for not making calls
« on: May 04, 2007, 07:53:18 AM »
Phone bills are notorious for rankling customers with fees, taxes, tariffs and other mystery assessments.

Now some phone companies are adding a new line item to monthly bills: a charge for not making long-distance calls.

The category of customers affected by the new fee is the shrinking subset of people who have no-frills home-phone service and don't pay for a long-distance-calling plan.

Verizon last month introduced the $2 fee. It is charged to customers who could dial out for long distance, but don't subscribe to a long-distance service and don't make long-distance calls.

Durham, N.C., retiree Daniel Bius discovered the $2 charge on his April bill. He says he has no use for Verizon's long-distance calling plan because he makes long-distance calls on his cell phone.

"Even though I don't have a plan with them, they say I still have the ability to make a long-distance call if I ever need to, so I have to pay them $2 a month?" Bius said. "What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to pay them $2 for no reason?"

The rest of the article is here:

http://reporternews.com/news/2007/may/03/phone-companies-levy-new-fee-not-making-calls/

I don't think this is a new practice, though.  I remember being charged $5.00/month for the same thing 10 years ago.  If you made LD calls, they applied the $5.00 toward that.  If you made none, you just paid $5.00 for nothing.

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
Re: Phone companies levy new fee for not making calls
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »
That is why Vonage is awesome
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline I-baLL

• OMG Mod
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-7
Re: Phone companies levy new fee for not making calls
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 01:03:49 AM »
I don't think this is a new practice, though.  I remember being charged $5.00/month for the same thing 10 years ago.  If you made LD calls, they applied the $5.00 toward that.  If you made none, you just paid $5.00 for nothing.

That was/is some FCC mandated tarrif.