Author Topic: How to customize your post reading  (Read 4111 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
How to customize your post reading
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »
If you hate reading ALL of those posts on the PLA Forums, then you might like to know how to filter out the forums you don't like.  To read every new post on the forums, you visit this URL:

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?action=unread

If you want to read only new posts in the General section, you would visit this URL:

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?action=unread;boards=1

Because the General forum is #1.  You can find out the numbers of the forums by mousing over them and looking at their numbers.  If you wanted to read only the General forum and the PLA Radio forum (#18), you'd go to this URL:

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?action=unread;boards=1,18

To customize your own URL, you can add in the numbers of all the boards you want to read, separated by commas.  Then add your completed URL as a bookmark or stick it somewhere in your browser bar.  Or make it your start page!

I'm sure there's a way to use numbers to exclude only certain boards too, but I'm too lazy to go look that up right now.

This helpful tip brought to you by me.

Also, you might notice the new "READ NEW POSTS" thing in the sidebar.  It's color coded for all you dumb people!

Blue reads all new posts on the forums
Red reads all new posts, except for the user boards
Green reads only posts that have replies to your posts

If I think of something else to add in there, I'll make it purple and that'll be REALLY exciting!

I also put one on the bottom of the sidebar, so when you're done with a thread, you don't have to scroll back to the top to click on New Posts again.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
Re: How to customize your post reading
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:57:43 PM »
This is truly an exciting day, as I've just added purple to the "READ NEW POSTS" thing!  Here's what the colors mean:

PURPLE read all new posts
BLUE reads all new posts since your last visit
RED reads all new posts since your last visit, except for the user boards
GREEN reads only posts that have replies to your posts

Offline mr_doc

• Supergluer of coins
  • PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +71/-24
    • PLA LotGD
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »
How can I see everything except the 'Count to one million', 'What's happening on the bridge tonight, read this one first!' and 'Introduce yourself here' threads?
PLAlotgd  -If you play, I will hate you a little less.
Unnamed Forums

Offline PHISH-PHREAK

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-26
    • 954 Phone Losers
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 06:28:52 PM »
Your forced to see "Count to one million". j00 MUST SEE IT!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »
I've been looking on the SMF forums and I don't see that there's any way to exclude specific posts.  That would be nice.  I'd also like to have an option to exclude topics by a certain user.  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options for reading new posts.

I'll have to look for some mods that do this kind of thing.  It'd be nice if there was a way to customize your own new posts button up there.  I guess I could do that with cookies, but that's a lot of effort.

Offline Zerobio

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-31
  • Hit ALT F4 For Pla Radio 300 On HomePage
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:48:55 PM »
I've been looking on the SMF forums and I don't see that there's any way to exclude specific posts.  That would be nice.  I'd also like to have an option to exclude topics by a certain user.  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options for reading new posts.

I'll have to look for some mods that do this kind of thing.  It'd be nice if there was a way to customize your own new posts button up there.  I guess I could do that with cookies, but that's a lot of effort.

don't like my post i bet  ;D