Author Topic: Illinois State Police advice for dealing with obscene calls  (Read 2443 times)

Offline ChrisT

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-31
Illinois State Police advice for dealing with obscene calls
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:04:41 AM »
"If you receive an obscene phone call, hang up immediately and notify the police. If calls persist, keep a whistle near the phone. At the next obscene call, blow the whistle loudly into the mouthpiece."

Just how is this supposed to help? The same site gives rape prevention advice like telling the attacker you have aids and sticking your fingers in your throat to vomit to discourage the attack.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
Re: Illinois State Police advice for dealing with obscene calls
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:09:18 AM »
I don't know about you, but AIDS and vomit get me way hot. Whistles as well. I'm an awesome rapist and prank caller.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:21:35 AM »
I don't know about you, but AIDS and vomit get me way hot. Whistles as well. I'm an awesome rapist and prank caller.

Except for Super AIDS. All it takes is one teaspoon of Super AIDS and you're dead in three years.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 05:49:55 AM »
"If you receive an obscene phone call, hang up immediately and notify the police. If calls persist, keep a whistle near the phone. At the next obscene call, blow the whistle loudly into the mouthpiece."

That's the exact same advice they printed in the front of the phone book when I was a kid.  I've been whistled at several times times during prank calls and it's always a hilarious experience.  I don't know why they think that's supposed to deter pranksters.  The whistling has never come close to hurting my ears, which I assume is the intended effect.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:25:48 AM »

Except for Super AIDS. All it takes is one teaspoon of Super AIDS and you're dead in three years.

One teaspoon of SuperAIDS in the ass and you're dead in two weeks.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/senior-power/default.php

Wow, that is awesome.  At the end, there's a link to the entire obscene phone call video.  It's here: http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/senior-power/senior-power.wmv

http://www.fraudaid.com/threats.htm says, "The fastest way to get rid of threatening phone calls is to get yourself a whistle, a plastic one from a discount toy store will do, and blow it loudly into the telephone.  The calls will stop immediately."

This page says, "Do not blow a whistle into the phone as the stalker may do the same to you.."

http://www.police.eku.edu/cp/telephone.php says "Blow a whistle into the phone to discourage obscene or harassing phone calls."

Some other page mentioned, "I like to blow a whistle into the phone and just picture the blood flowing from the eardrums of some stupid ass freak on crack."

I've been looking through a lot of pages, trying to understand the reasoning behind whistling into the phone.  Most people seem to think that blowing a whistle into the phone will cause a caller hearing damage.  Back in the 60's and 70's, when the whistle blowing technique probably originated, phones were pretty standard with the giant microphones and earphones in the handset.  Maybe sound came through a lot louder back then.  But isn't the sound kind of regulated by all the electronics crammed into your phone these days?  Not to mention the speaker and the microphone in the handset are a lot smaller than they used to be.  I don't think blowing a whistle into a phone could possibly hurt anyones ears.

Anyone have a whistle and want to try it out and let us know if your eardrums explode?

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »
They should give the instructions for making a blotto box instead of suggesting a whistle.

One teaspoon of SuperAIDS in the ass and you're dead in two weeks.

Correct on SuperAIDS in the ass, but Google says the quote is three years and not two weeks. I'll have to dig up the episode from my DVD collection.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:47:59 PM by LordNod »
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »
Shit! Now I can't make obscene calls to Illinois anymore.  ;D

At the next obscene call, blow the whistle loudly into the mouthpiece."

I doubt it will be effective if the caller is using a speakerphone.

MIB
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu