Author Topic: Man blocks valley girl's cellphone  (Read 4555 times)

Offline judasiscariot

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-3
  • fuck your worthless god
    • xda-developers
Man blocks valley girl's cellphone
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:41:37 AM »
I saw this link on Digg today.  It's about a man that uses a device to emit a strong radio signal to block any cell phones within a desired radius in order to silence the conversation of one annoying valley girl.  It also segways into a nice piece about how this is a FCC no-no.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/technology/04jammer.html?_r=2&ex=1351828800&en=e80e8e8d2c6a9275&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

(I posted this here instead of 'Phone News' because this is General Discussion god damn it.  More activity as well.  Ban me!)
"Anyone with a guy throwing a middle finger for an avatar is a 1st class douchbag." - SadDay

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Man blocks valley girl's cellphone
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:41:14 AM »
Clients, he said, include owners of cafes and hair salons, and a New York school bus driver named Dan. “The kids think they are sneaky by hiding low in the seats and using their phones,” Dan wrote in an e-mail message to Mr. Thakkar thanking him for selling the jammer.

What's the point in that?  He should be happy that some kids are quietly talking or texting instead of talking out loud to their friends all around them.  What a waste of his money.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »
Can you hear me now? NO! Good,” the purchaser of a jammer wrote last month in a review on a Web site called DealExtreme.

That's right near the thread about how the pla is a bunch of elitist jerks for removing the jammer thread.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »
Can you hear me now? NO! Good,” the purchaser of a jammer wrote last month in a review on a Web site called DealExtreme.

That's right near the thread about how the pla is a bunch of elitist jerks for removing the jammer thread.

You reminded me of that and it made me giggle.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline s1acker

• plop
  • PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-10
  • lolwut?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »
It would be a good thing to have when you're behind those people on the road that can't drive and talk at the same time.

Offline Nod

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 212-389-1318
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:00:03 PM »
I wonder if something similar could be used to block radar. Like if you were transmitting a very powerful signal on the same frequency as the radar gun would it affect it so that you'd be invisible to it?
I HATE the bridge.

Offline judasiscariot

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-3
  • fuck your worthless god
    • xda-developers
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:58:22 PM »
I wonder if something similar could be used to block radar. Like if you were transmitting a very powerful signal on the same frequency as the radar gun would it affect it so that you'd be invisible to it?

In order to do this you'd need two line of sight transmitters mounted inside the car windshield at 40 and 320 degrees with some sort of power source hooked up to it.  I'm not sure on the technical details of the wavelength and frequency but I'm sure you could accomplish some jamming this way. 
"Anyone with a guy throwing a middle finger for an avatar is a 1st class douchbag." - SadDay

Offline s1acker

• plop
  • PLA Soldier
  • lolwut?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »
That's a good question. I'm sure it's possible.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 06:16:31 PM »

From this site: "Active radar jammers work on the principle of interfering with or overwhelming the doppler shift that occurs from the reflected radar beam that police RADAR guns require to obtain a vehicles speed."

Offline s1acker

• plop
  • PLA Soldier
  • lolwut?
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »
"While active radar jammers are most certainly illegal (unlike laser jammers), they are mostly ineffective, especially against the latest digital RADAR guns."
So even if you had one it probably wouldn't work these days.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 05:21:36 AM »
My uncle has one in his super fancy porche, it works. Maybe its fancier than what that article is talking about.

Offline Nod

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 212-389-1318
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 05:41:58 AM »
I guess I'll have to hold off on my plans for a warp engine go-cart.
I HATE the bridge.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »
I have a 4 cylinder that I pulled out of an old car that a friend wants to put in his go cart. Keep an eye on the Darwin Awards folks.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Nod

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 212-389-1318
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
I have a 4 cylinder that I pulled out of an old car that a friend wants to put in his go cart. Keep an eye on the Darwin Awards folks.

It can be done. I don't know what kind of go cart he's planning on using but I would suggest reinforcing it everywhere so that it's basically a roll cage on wheels. The engine is going to make a lot of tourque (At least in proportion to the size of what it's pushing.) too so make sure that axle and everything is strong enough to withstand it. Is the engine from a FWD car? If it was front wheel drive that will actually make it a lot easier to do since he won't have to cut a drive shaft down to fit the shorter distance. It would be a lot of work and take some careful planning but if done right could be the sickest go cart EVAR.
I HATE the bridge.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
I just keep a gun in my car.  If a cop around here tries to write me a ticket, BLAM!  In the face.  The cops around here know to leave me the hell alone.