Author Topic: Shoplifting?  (Read 19300 times)

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
Re: Shoplifting?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:26 AM »
As a jackass I feel the need to use a bullshit agenda as justification for retail theft.

It's called stealing. Not liberating. You steal books because you can't pay for them.

Do you know what I do when I can't afford my textbooks? I put them on a credit card and work extra hours to pay it off. You'd be amazed how well it works.

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
yeah, i'm with you Matt.  books are expensive, but i try to find them cheaper used or online to avoid the ridiculous bookstore prices.  then...yeah, i have no money, but i get student loans, and have to pay them back after i graduate this year.  it sucks to be in debt, but it's for tuition and books...and after all these years of school, i'll be able to do a job i enjoy in order to pay it all off.
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 08:40:17 AM »
Fuck paying, I love the idea of getting something for free off people who essentially operate a monopoly (you buy the book or you don't graduate, nice choice) and will die fat and rich because of it. They've been making a killing off exploitation since before I was born, and will likely be continuing to do so after I'm dead. Fuck them all.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 06:42:08 PM »
Why isn't this thread rotting in its casket yet?

I stand by my previous question.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline phone piper

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
Way to cite old news.

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-28
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »
http://blog.wakeupwalmart.com/ufcw/2006/07/walmarts_shocki.html
its all free now   ;D

Way to cite old news.

Now hold on there tachyon.  If this is current wal*mart policy, you could really screw them over.  Not that it would be very likely to happen, due to the need for so many people, but if you had enough people stealing items that were less than $25, you could put a rather large dent in the inventory of a single wal*mart.  Granted, it's extremely improbable that anyone could do this, but it could pose a potential problem.   

Careful Nod.  He's just a very clever spambot. 

Your moms a spambot.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »
I just remember reading this at least a few months ago. It's pretty sweet, I have friends who shoplift most of their food from Wal Mart.

Offline Yauch

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-9
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »
Question: Does fishing receipts out of the trash and then picking the item on the receipt off the shelf, bringing it up for a refund work? What if you bought an item, kept it and then brought back the receipt for a refund using an in store item? Aside from store cameras would there be other issues with this? UPC not matching or something?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:36:32 PM by Yauch »

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »
Question: Does fishing receipts out of the trash and then picking the item on the receipt off the shelf, bringing it up for a refund work?

Yup. Or, at least, it use to work.

[ready for a story, kids?...]

My grandpa has two best friends: Kym (he's rich because he owns a ton of houses) and Ralph (he used to be rich by--you guessed it--shoplifting).

Ralph would dig in the trash, and find receipts for really expensive junk. He then would throw on his $1000 suit, get the same item off the shelf, and walk up to the returns desk all business-like and, effectively, social engineer the employee for a refund.

He would also use the same receipt over and over again, because back then there was no way they could tell if that item had already been returned or not. He even dabbled at making his own receipts from time to time.

He lived in different motels, he didn't even own a house, and constantly traveled all over the US in search of another walmart to scam.

Apparently he made a ton of money at it, though, because my grandpa claimed Ralph was rich, and this coming from a man who once had a business meeting with Bill Gates...

But be warned - Ralph was fucking crazy. He would do small illegal things just to see if he could get away with it (shoplifting, etc.). Also, he had a warrant in North Carolina for his arrest, but he would spend the majority of his time in North Carolina anyway. One time he got caught shoplifting in NC and had to run out of the store, hop into his car, and race past the border. He managed to pull it off, though.

Ralph now lives in a trailer near Kym (my grandpa's other rich friend) and pretty much mooches off of Kym. As far as anybody knows, he doesn't scam anymore: His reason being that they were getting too good at finding ways to foil his tricks.

So yeah, if it doesn't work anymore, blame people like Ralph. What a jerk!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 07:40:39 AM »
Cool story about Ralph.

I always wondered if there might be a way to trick people out of their receipts as they leave the store.  Like pretend to be a receipt checker when you see somebody carrying an expensive item, then run away with it. 

Or do registers still have the journal paper rolls in them that duplicate the receipts?  If so, maybe you could pop open the register printer and take the giant roll of receipts inside.

Offline IN4CER

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-25
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 09:02:28 PM »
I always thought it would be a good idea to get a cashier job and have a friend come to the store with barcode stickers. They cover the barcodes on expensive items with a 10 cent knickknack barcode and then buy them at your register. He doesn't have to worry about the shitty stickers and obvious price mismatch actually fooling anyone and you have plausible deniability since you could have just not been paying attention. You're just a minimum wage cashier who isn't expected to be smart anyway.
used to do that it works will for small thing but the boss find it out pity quickly.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 12:50:51 AM »
Oh you noobs and your posting in old threads.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline SpaceBison

• Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +35/-24
  • Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
    • Space Bison: Boldly Going Where No Buffalo Has Gone Before
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »
Question: Does fishing receipts out of the trash and then picking the item on the receipt off the shelf, bringing it up for a refund work? What if you bought an item, kept it and then brought back the receipt for a refund using an in store item? Aside from store cameras would there be other issues with this? UPC not matching or something?
I knew a reservist that did something like that at the PX on Ft Bliss. They caught him after a couple months and sent him to Leavenworth for a couple years. Apparently he was doing it a few times a week or so. Wasn't really all that bright, had outstanding warrants for other stuff too.

Don't like my signature? Click on it to make a new one!

Offline trotfox5

• Geek
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-9
  • (i use safari anyway ;)
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »
All i know about shoplifting is that its damned easy to steal anything from any store where i live. It's scary how lax security is. Also, i'm not regocnizing any of these tactics that people are discussing. I think i've out of the shoplifting loop for too long.:angel:
<cactus>I like to cactus people
Thats why I'm here</cactus>