Author Topic: Your favorite mic?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline nwbell

• catsex and dead hookers?
  • Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-0
  • My bid is five... five CACTI! BWAHAHA!!!
Your favorite mic?
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
I'm bored, so I guess it's time for a non-leet question...

Jammie: You say you work in the radio/music industry. Are you involved in any recording, voiceovers, or whatnot? And if so, what's your favorite mic, and why?

My US$0.02: I sometimes voicetrack overnights for a small public radio station, and do (very) ocassional live work in the studio and the field. I'm pretty happy with my old ElectroVoice 635a's, but I'd like to get something nicer for studio use at some point. I played with an MXL 2001 condenser for a while but was never quite content (it was cheap, though). People tell me RE-20's and RE-27's are the end-all, be-all, but I don't have $500 to blow on one right now (or anytime in the near future).
I am an internet haxor. I haxor the internet. It's a pretty good job, million a year plus bennies. So, yeah.
PLA-Minnesota... "A Distant Memory To The Unfortunate Few" • (206) 350-CACTI

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
Re: Your favorite mic?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »
I'm bored, so I guess it's time for a non-leet question...

Jammie: You say you work in the radio/music industry. Are you involved in any recording, voiceovers, or whatnot? And if so, what's your favorite mic, and why?

My US$0.02: I sometimes voicetrack overnights for a small public radio station, and do (very) ocassional live work in the studio and the field. I'm pretty happy with my old ElectroVoice 635a's, but I'd like to get something nicer for studio use at some point. I played with an MXL 2001 condenser for a while but was never quite content (it was cheap, though). People tell me RE-20's and RE-27's are the end-all, be-all, but I don't have $500 to blow on one right now (or anytime in the near future).

Dear nwbell,

To be honest, I'm an Ops/Business Manager and haven't worked in the studio for years.  Just for you though, I asked our studio guy what we used and here's what he had to say:

"We use Electro Voice RE-20 and Shure SM-7 mics.  We’ve also got a few Sennheiser 421s around.  The RE-20s are pretty standard jock mics, and don’t “pop” easily, which is nice.  I prefer the sound of the SM-7s, but they’re pretty sensitive to pops. "

So there you have it.  We don't go out into the field here, but for our in-studio stuff (which includes recording some syndicated shows and conducting artist interviews live and on the phone) it works our pretty well :)  Can't speak for price since I don't have to buy them.

I bet all that was really unhelpful, but I tried!

Love,
jammie

Offline nwbell

• catsex and dead hookers?
  • Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-0
  • My bid is five... five CACTI! BWAHAHA!!!
Re: Your favorite mic?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »
I bet all that was really unhelpful, but I tried!

Wow, I forgot all about this thread.

Actually, that was mildly helpful. And I do appreciate the effort (and the humor of knowing I caused some girl thousands of miles away to corner her friendly local engineer and ask him non-leet questions on my behalf).

So thanks!
I am an internet haxor. I haxor the internet. It's a pretty good job, million a year plus bennies. So, yeah.
PLA-Minnesota... "A Distant Memory To The Unfortunate Few" • (206) 350-CACTI