Author Topic: Answering Machine Hacking  (Read 6896 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Answering Machine Hacking
« on: April 01, 2008, 07:05:36 AM »
From: http://cbs13.com/consumer/call.kurtis.kurtis.2.687222.html

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― Voicemail is an easy target for thieves looking for a way to make free phone calls. You may not realize thieves have a way to hack into voice mails, figure out your password and change the outgoing message to accept collect calls. Kurtis Ming tells us it's more common than you would think.

Paul Gordon battled AT&T for months. "Ultimately this dragged on and they disconnected our 800 number which hurts for a small business," explain Paul.

Turns out, thieves figured out his password. In 48 hours they charged $13,000 in international calls to suspicious locations.

"Virtually all of them were terrorist or terrorist related countries," says Paul. "The phone company never once had any level of investigation; showed any level of concern."

This is how it works: Hackers call your voicemail, and if you have an easy password like "1 2 3 4," they access your phone system and change your voicemail to say something like "operator, I will accept the charges."

They can then make international calls, sticking you with the bill.

It also happened to Carol Lashman, she was stuck with $3,500 in charges.
"It was shocking," she says. Both Paul and Carol's carriers told them they were responsible for the bill. But Bill Nuesbuam with the Utility Reform Network says that isn't true.

"You should not be held liable for that transaction, that's basically what the law says," explains Bill.

Carol was sent to collections and Paul's carrier was after him for payment.

"They basically told us to go pound salt and ultimately took us to collections," says Carol.

After the CBS affiliate in San Francisco got involved, Sprint reversed Carol's $3500 bill and AT&T reversed Paul's $13,000 bill.

"And in 24 hours the matter was resolved," says Bill.

Here's what you can do to prevent this from happening to you: Don't use the default password and make your password difficult. If possible, block international calls and check your outgoing message from time to time, attacks usually happen on the weekends or holidays.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
Re: Answering Machine Hacking
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »
What's really funny is that you make a video of yourself doing this over a decade ago.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline PEneoark

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
I really think it's the customer's responsibility to make sure the PIN for their VM box is something not easy to figure out.  That's what I've told my customer when they have mentioned that their VM PIN was left at the default of 1234.  It may sound cruel, but it's something that they could have easily prevented from happening.  But then again...I work for a telco.

A

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 03:01:14 PM »
"˙˙˙ɥƃnoɹɥʇ llɐɔ ǝɥʇ ʇnd puɐ pɐǝɥɐ oƃ 'ǝuıɟ s,ʇɐɥʇ 'sǝʎ˙˙˙˙sǝƃɹɐɥɔ ǝɥʇ ʇdǝɔɔɐ llıʍ ı 'sǝʎ˙˙˙˙sǝʎ˙˙˙˙¿ollǝɥ" 'ʎɐs ǝƃɐssǝɯ lıɐɯǝɔıoʌ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐɯ plnoʍ ı ʎluo  ˙ǝɯıʇ ǝɥʇ llɐ sıɥʇ op oʇ pǝsn ı

Offline phantom757

• VeriZon's wayward son
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-17
  • CACTUS
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
I really think it's the customer's responsibility to make sure the PIN for their VM box is something not easy to figure out.  That's what I've told my customer when they have mentioned that their VM PIN was left at the default of 1234.  It may sound cruel, but it's something that they could have easily prevented from happening.  But then again...I work for a telco.

A
OMG ... a telco SPY.  :o I hope you work for VeriZon, cause if you do and you have read some of my other posts, you'll know that VeriZon is totally PWNED.... by ME. thefinger
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:14:03 PM by phantom757 »
This statement is a LIE ---->   <---- This statement is TRUE ... Im SO confused.

Offline phantom757

• VeriZon's wayward son
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • CACTUS
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »
BTW.... I hack voicemail  *bangyourhead* ....does that make ME a terrorist? *hiding*
This statement is a LIE ---->   <---- This statement is TRUE ... Im SO confused.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »
BTW.... I hack voicemail  *bangyourhead* ....does that make ME a terrorist? *hiding*

Bragging about it nonstop on a public forum is one way to find out.

Offline phantom757

• VeriZon's wayward son
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • CACTUS
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 04:22:03 PM »

:o DOH

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »

:o DOH
I am literally rolling around on the floor all crazy-like as I laugh.  *thewav* O0 :toothy4: imwithstupid thefinger *argue* *bs* *director* *glasses13* *popcorn* *bangyourhead* *hiding* *hippy* *papasmurf* *smurf* *icongeek* *santa* *smurf2* *smurfette* *monkey* *nono* *happybirthday* *cheers* *police* *protest* *puke* *sick* *winblows* *eatarrow* ::tongue3 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( *rainbowsmiley* My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself. My ass has fallen off due to laughter.

Offline phantom757

• VeriZon's wayward son
  • Junior Phone Loser
  • CACTUS
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »

Maybe so.....tell the FBI to bring it on :D

Offline N3gativ3sanity

• Lumberjack
  • Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +25/-20
  • Connoisseur of punch and pie
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »
What are you gonna do? Scare them away by haxing THEIR voicemail?
S1acker: wtf do they wanna take my plasma for
Negs: For people in the hospital, I guess
S1acker: they can get their own
S1acker: GO GROW SOME PLASMA NOOBS!!!!

Offline ataxicwolf

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +18/-7
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 06:33:42 PM »
What are you gonna do? Scare them away by haxing THEIR voicemail?
you'd better not anger him!!111 he will teh hax0rz ur v01cema1lz t00! Oh GAWD!!

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-28
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »

well. since you've been talking about it so much, i hacked a verizon voicemail in seattle.  (206) 984-2958.  check out the hilarious OGM i made.  My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself. i pwnd their newb butts. lolroflmao.

i doesnt afraid of nothing.

Careful Nod.  He's just a very clever spambot. 

Your moms a spambot.

Offline PEneoark

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 02:49:02 AM »

A
OMG ... a telco SPY.  :o I hope you work for VeriZon, cause if you do and you have read some of my other posts, you'll know that VeriZon is totally PWNED.... by ME. thefinger

I am not a telco spy.  I dont work for an ILEC like Verizon.  I work for a CLEC.  Trust me....We hate Verizon and other ILECs just as much as you guys :)

Offline JD716

• Self Proclaimed PLA Bridge Warrior
  • Post Whore
  • 1337 13V3L: +12/-28
  • CACTUS!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »

well. since you've been talking about it so much, i hacked a verizon voicemail in seattle.  (206) 984-2958.  check out the hilarious OGM i made.  LOL i pwnd their newb butts. lolroflmao.

i doesnt afraid of nothing.

206 984 is a International Telcom line in Washington. It's also a K7 line.
PDXUSA sucks my ass.