Author Topic: Cable modem hacking  (Read 14316 times)

Offline evilgold

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-1
Re: Cable modem hacking
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »
]You're a fucking idiot.

When the CMTS detects your modem, it uses one of two means of determine what user you are: your serial number or your MAC address. Upon connection, a modem ranges, locks on to a downstream and upstream frequency, and then using TFTP, it receives a QoS telling it what speed it is capable of. In the event that the MAC or serial is not registered, the accounting system either denies the range to be completed or the modem and any device behind it receives a private IP address, denying any outside routing.

Effectively, you're a terrible bullshitter.

Actually thats not how comcast does it, comcast gives you a public IP regardless of if your modem registers or not. The way they normally prevent people from getting any use without paying is using DNS redirecting everything to a comcast signup page, and they also give the modem a really shitty QoS setting, that blocks most every port. But by using an alternative DNS set manually on your system you can browse wherever you want. The QoS packet you get is changeable because tftp is too stupid to check what file is requested.

And on ISPs that DO require registered macs to get public IPs, you can sniff out valid MAC addresses on the private network and then clone them to connect.

I'm really shocked you guys dont know about this stuff?

Here is some basic info for you guys to verify im not bullshitting.
http://www.theoryshare.com/cable-modem-modification-tutorials/comcast-premod-how-to.html

Offline judasiscariot

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-3
  • fuck your worthless god
    • xda-developers
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 06:36:10 PM »
]You're a fucking idiot.

Effectively, you're a terrible bullshitter.

Actually...

Here is some basic info for you guys to verify im not bullshitting.
http://www.theoryshare.com/cable-modem-modification-tutorials/comcast-premod-how-to.html

ACTUALLY,

Your both sort of right.  One of you is talking about it from a hardware authentication standpoint and the other is talking about a network provisioning DNS "hack".  Effectively your both correct in the overall picture, but trust me when I say there is a lot more going on then just that.

EDIT:  You can't run or customize your own boot files on the modem.  The TFTP server will send you a new copy or the server will reject it.

EDIT AGAIN:  Who is the girl in that avatar? 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 06:37:57 PM by judasiscariot »
"Anyone with a guy throwing a middle finger for an avatar is a 1st class douchbag." - SadDay

Offline evilgold

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »

ACTUALLY,

Your both sort of right.  One of you is talking about it from a hardware authentication standpoint and the other is talking about a network provisioning DNS "hack".  Effectively your both correct in the overall picture, but trust me when I say there is a lot more going on then just that.

EDIT:  You can't run or customize your own boot files on the modem.  The TFTP server will send you a new copy or the server will reject it.

I dont know what you mean by boot files... The boot loader on some modems can be replaced, sometimes it doesnt need to be and sometimes it does, it depends on the hacked firmware you use. As far as the QoS speed settings go, the hack works by requesting whatever file you tell it to, but reporting that it gets the "walledgarden" config, which is the one for unregistered modems. That way if comcast where to check what config my modem is running it sees the restricted one, while im actually running one thats capped to 55/5mbps... not that i actually get those speeds, but thats what the caps are. My speeds tend to be around 25/3mbps most of the time. At best i get about 30mbps download speeds... Either way, its more then im supposed to.

The girl is my girlfriend when she was like 17 or so.

Offline judasiscariot

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-3
  • fuck your worthless god
    • xda-developers
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 12:40:55 PM »
As far as the QoS speed settings go, the hack works by requesting whatever file you tell it to, but reporting that it gets the "walledgarden" config, which is the one for unregistered modems. That way if comcast where to check what config my modem is running it sees the restricted one.

You going to HOPE?  We can discuss this in person.  I'd rather not put details on here.
"Anyone with a guy throwing a middle finger for an avatar is a 1st class douchbag." - SadDay

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »
As far as the QoS speed settings go, the hack works by requesting whatever file you tell it to, but reporting that it gets the "walledgarden" config, which is the one for unregistered modems. That way if comcast where to check what config my modem is running it sees the restricted one.

You going to HOPE?  We can discuss this in person.  I'd rather not put details on here.

Pay for my ticket and room at HOPE. I want to be the one who over hears you and sends this entire thing into a dark, deep, and ugly conspiracy story to hurt the people. Special effects will be seen.

Offline evilgold

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 12:33:57 AM »

Unfortunately not this year since i just moved to the other side of the country. But if you want other info the people i got my modem from have a nice private forum at sbhacker.net, and i do stay idle in there irc channel.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 06:38:10 AM »

Unfortunately not this year since i just moved to the other side of the country. But if you want other info the people i got my modem from have a nice private forum at sbhacker.net, and i do stay idle in there irc channel.

If the purpose was to keep things "out of the public's eyes", wouldn't it have made MORE sense to PM him w/ the details? Now, anyone who wants to see the conclusion of your illegal conversation can just register for the forums that you gave the link for and read on.

Offline Lord Valmont Illamato

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-1210
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
I like when the cops are after me! ???
What?

Offline evilgold

• Junior Phone Loser
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »

If the purpose was to keep things "out of the public's eyes", wouldn't it have made MORE sense to PM him w/ the details? Now, anyone who wants to see the conclusion of your illegal conversation can just register for the forums that you gave the link for and read on.

So you think that anyone who might be interested in that information doesnt already know about those forums? Besides what would anyone gain from knowing what is posted in those places? There are plenty of public places with just as much information, and you dont hear about anyone getting into any trouble on those sites either  (theoryshare, tcniso, suprbay, etc).

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 06:55:24 AM »

So you think that anyone who might be interested in that information doesnt already know about those forums? Besides what would anyone gain from knowing what is posted in those places? There are plenty of public places with just as much information, and you dont hear about anyone getting into any trouble on those sites either  (theoryshare, tcniso, suprbay, etc).

Kids these days. Don't even know the tuna sandwich story. Lil' pricks.

Offline Lestan Gregor

• PLA Bitch
  • 1337 13V3L: +64/-30
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »

ACTUALLY,

I dont know what you mean by boot files... The boot loader on some modems can be replaced, sometimes it doesnt need to be and sometimes it does, it depends on the hacked firmware you use. As far as the QoS speed settings go, the hack works by requesting whatever file you tell it to, but reporting that it gets the "walledgarden" config, which is the one for unregistered modems. That way if comcast where to check what config my modem is running it sees the restricted one, while im actually running one thats capped to 55/5mbps... not that i actually get those speeds, but thats what the caps are. My speeds tend to be around 25/3mbps most of the time. At best i get about 30mbps download speeds... Either way, its more then im supposed to.

The girl is my girlfriend when she was like 17 or so.

Who are you to come in here and steal my avatar ideas????

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 06:44:58 PM »
Holy Shit, Judas Iscariot's still alive?  I've got to start checking this place more often.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 12:36:25 AM »
Kids these days. Don't even know the tuna sandwich story. Lil' pricks.

OMG! HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO TELL THAT TUNA SALAD STORY!
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline Moose-Alini

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-10
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 05:50:50 PM »
Here's a month later bump with some exciting information:

yer all dum

Cable modem hacking is very much alive. Check out evilgold's link, and the same premise is valid on many other modem types and different networks. I may or may not have been getting 30mbit full duplex speeds for free over the last two years with only a thirty dollar investment (new modem). It may be awesome (if indeed I were doing it).

If anyone want specifics, i'm sure I or the few people who seem to know what they are talking about (cough not murdoc) can go into detail on why this works, how it works, and why it is next to impossible to be caught.

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 01:32:56 AM »
Here's a month later bump with some exciting information:

yer all dum

Cable modem hacking is very much alive. Check out evilgold's link, and the same premise is valid on many other modem types and different networks. I may or may not have been getting 30mbit full duplex speeds for free over the last two years with only a thirty dollar investment (new modem). It may be awesome (if indeed I were doing it).

If anyone want specifics, i'm sure I or the few people who seem to know what they are talking about (cough not murdoc) can go into detail on why this works, how it works, and why it is next to impossible to be caught.

Hey Moose, how was federal prison?