Author Topic: No fees for ending you cell phone contract  (Read 6454 times)

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
No fees for ending you cell phone contract
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:29:13 AM »
Californai judge ruled it is illegal. But cell phone carriers are going to try to find a way around the ruling.

MIB

Edit to add: The ruling is probably only valid in California.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:31:28 AM by MIB »
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
Re: No fees for ending you cell phone contract
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:30:27 AM »
bex0 just posted this on the UPL board you theif!

http://www.phonelosers.net/forums/index.php?topic=34.0
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:32:51 AM by linear »

MelloKira

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:04:45 AM »
I can't make up my mind to whether this is a good idea or not. I guess it has its Ups and Downs.

Offline Hebbie Hauler

• Ever DIE in a "big truck" accident?
  • PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-7
    • Fun Trucks!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:06:55 AM »
I can't make up my mind to whether this is a good idea or not. I guess it has its Ups and Downs.

Can u list one good point (not obvious) and one bad point, as you see it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:31:51 AM by Hebbie Hauler »

MelloKira

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:18:48 AM »

Okie dokie.

Good - The only reason why I'm currently stuck with U.S. Cellular and a half-broken cell phone is because I have another 6 months or so on my contract. If there weren't any early termination fees, I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Bad - Not only would phone companies not be able to offer sweet deals on new phones when you sign up to them like the article said, they wouldn't be able to offer much good deals at all for fear that you would sign up and then immediatly quit after taking advantage of them (kinda like they've been doing to you all these years). At worst, cell phone companies may become our new alternitave to Pay Phones. Walk in, sign up, use a phone to call somebody, quit their service, and leave.

Waddya think?

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:25:13 AM »
those costs would be offset by monthly fees bottoming out to prevent people from switching over

Offline Hebbie Hauler

• Ever DIE in a "big truck" accident?
  • PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-7
    • Fun Trucks!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:37:04 AM »

Okie dokie.

Good - The only reason why I'm currently stuck with U.S. Cellular and a half-broken cell phone is because I have another 6 months or so on my contract. If there weren't any early termination fees, I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Bad - Not only would phone companies not be able to offer sweet deals on new phones when you sign up to them like the article said, they wouldn't be able to offer much good deals at all for fear that you would sign up and then immediatly quit after taking advantage of them (kinda like they've been doing to you all these years). At worst, cell phone companies may become our new alternitave to Pay Phones. Walk in, sign up, use a phone to call somebody, quit their service, and leave.

Waddya think?

Lack of contracts will probably raise the price of service. And true you most likely wont see many decent phones offered for free anymore. Without contracts companies wont effectively be able to project their earnings into the future, perhaps causing instability in the market.

I personally dislike whenever the govt. gets involved with regulating commerce, they are buffoons who rarely understand business... that's why they have to work for the govt. in the first place, which itself is unaccountable and noobish. I'm not even going to go into the fact this ruling comes out of CALIFORNIA!

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 04:48:03 AM »
yeah, competition will cause prices to go UP.

::)

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:04:42 AM »
also, as was brought up on the other board, we could still get deals on new phones because companies could still charge prorated early termination fees.

but i think those should be done away with too. even though there's not a legal basis for doing away with that like there is for doing away with the flat-fee.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 05:28:04 AM »
I think forcing you into 2 years of service keeps the phone companies from being a true competitor of land line service.  When has a land line ever forced you to remain a subscriber for any amount of time or said no to you for bad credit?

On the other hand, I got a Blackberry Pearl for $150.

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 05:41:41 AM »
imagine saving like $20/month on your cell phone bill. you'd save alot more money that way in the long run than you saved on that phone.

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 01:59:41 PM »
Charging people money to leave was and always will be a straight up bullshit pathetic tactic that's always pissed me off.
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
I've never really had to worry about this, so the threat of a termination fee isn't that big of a deal. Then again, my carrier is pretty cheap (I pay $30/mo MAX), and it's the only one that gets decent, un-interrupted service in my area.

This is complete speculation, but I feel like killing a termination fee like this would only give an initial drop on service prices as carriers try to entice new customers to leave their current providers. Once companies that consistently can't compete get weeded out, the "power carriers" will probably start raising prices again. I can also see phone companies trying to put a tighter lock on their equipment to keep it from being transferred to a new provider (though people will always get past this), or a drop in specials or promotions that have initial up-front costs for the companies to be offset later through service payments.

Anyone who says that government agents don't know anything about business have never talked to government acquisition officers. They are some of the stingiest, crooked bastards out there that would make any Fortune 500 company proud.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »
imagine saving like $20/month on your cell phone bill. you'd save alot more money that way in the long run than you saved on that phone.

$20 * 24 = $480

On Ebay, a Blackberry goes for $300 right now, but I'm pretty sure they were $400 or $500 back in December when I got my phone.  So instead of paying $150, I would have paid $400 (Possibly $500) up front, which is an extra $250 (or $350) for me.  So I would save either $130 or $230 over the course of 2 years.  But the problem is that I wouldn't have $400 or $500 to blow on a phone in the first place and most other people probably don't either.  That's a lot of money to drop on a phone.  Having it financed for a year or two is worth it to me.

Offline Lord Valmont Illamato

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-1210
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 08:47:40 PM »
get a prepaid
What?