Author Topic: Text-Walking May Become Illegal in Illinois  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Robert_

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-12
Text-Walking May Become Illegal in Illinois
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »
Thankfully a majority of you haven't had any walking while texting incidents, and knock-on-wood, I haven't either. Well in Illinois this past January, a bill was introduced that would ban people from using their cell phones while crossing the street.

"This legislation is not laughable. On the surface it's like, 'Oh wow, what is this?' But it's becoming more and more of a common problem with people haplessly crossing an intersection and almost killing themselves."

Says Ken Dunkin, the representative who introduced the bill. Dunkin also mentioned that there have already been two deaths of two New York City pedestrians who were said to have been walking and texting.

The Chicago Tribune notes how the brain's ability to multitask makes text-walking possible, even though it's a delicate balancing act. I honestly don't know what I'd do if California banned texting while walking, because texting most likely consists of emailing too, which I love doing to and from work!

http://www.geeksugar.com/1824004

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
Re: Text-Walking May Become Illegal in Illinois
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »
ugh.

i live in chicago, and it's been all over the news.  such bullshit.  seriously...not watching where you're walking when you text hurts only yourself, and people getting run over if they're too dumb to watch where they're going when they're walking down the street is called natural selection.
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Anyone remember earlier this year when some artist/prankster covered lamp posts in the UK with padding and got the media to believe that it was to prevent text walkers from hurting themselves when they run into the posts?  Here's an article about it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-525785/Brick-Lane-Britains-Safe-Text-street-padded-lampposts-prevent-mobile-phone-injuries.html

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
I distinctly remember this being on Fark last week.