Author Topic: I need help! I suspect my phone conversations are recorded tapped  (Read 6051 times)

Offline luckdragon

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
I'm in a very hard situtation and need some help! I honestly never thought someone would be listening to my phone conversations. I know very little to nothing about recording or tapping equipment. I have a best friend I have had for years since we were young. I strongly suspect her brother is listening and recording our conversations. I've known him for just as long as her. Me and her brother always were interested in each other for the same amount of time, on and off. I have gotten calls for close to the same amount of time at different addresses. These calls would ring and I'd hear a click then no sound but you knew someone was on the line. I mean I got them alot over the years and always the same kind of call. I'd say hello and other things for a long time and got no answer.Sometimes I got these calls several times a day.They had stopped for about 2 and a half years. I had got in contact with her brother and gave him my number. The calls started once again. Once I could hear my voice as I spoke on the phone. My best friend and I speak regularly on the phone. When I had said to her on the phone I was going to have the calls traced they stopped. We have been speaking with her brother online. Me and her would have a conversation and talk to him the next day. He just knew things he shouldn't that we talked about.There is a lot more strange things that happened as well. He has access to her phone and knows a great deal about tapping and recording. Her phone has lots of static, changes in volume, and I could hear sort of popping noises in the background. I did some research presented what I thought to her.I'd heard those kind of sounds at her other houses through the years. She had the phone company check her line for tapping just by doing tests on the line. Nobody came and inspected the lines. They said her phones were not being tapped. Could a phone tap or recorder not be detected by the phone company? She is convinced by the test the telephone company did that nothing is wrong. I still feel otherwise but I don't know if the phone company cannot detect tapping? I think my best friend thinks I'm nuts, My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.. Also could the calls I've gotten be some kind of recording instrument? Are there instruments like these I've described? 

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:01:18 AM by rbcp »

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
Re: I need help! I suspect my phone conversations are recorded tapped
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 06:43:06 AM »
Kill yourself and your parents.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 11:37:16 AM »
If your friend's brother wants to be creepy like this, why not just stop talking to him?  He's probably enjoying watching you get so upset about this.  Or why not just chat online with your friend instead of talking on the phone?  Or save all your secretive and important conversations for when you see her in person.

The phone company cannot check your friends line for taps over the phone.  Even if they could, your friends brother might be unhooking the tap/recorder when he's not around.  Hearing clicks and pops on the line during a conversation would make sense if he's hooking a tap onto the line while you're talking.

You should take a look at the devices on this page.  Then have your friend rummage through her brother's room looking for similar devices.  Or maybe just have her burst into his room while he's listening.  Oh, I know!  Set up a secret webcam in the brother's room to catch him in the act.  That would make perfect sense!

Also, I'm very serious when I say this will help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph

Offline luckdragon

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 05:34:19 PM »
I'm sorry about the bad structure of my post. I do know about paragraphs. I wrote everything down quickly and I didn't use paragraphs. I see it does make my post hard to read.

I did stop talking to her brother. I can't chat online with her because he has remote access to her computer. He uses a program where, as long as her computer is on and connected to the internet, he can fix her computer. My friend moved to a different state. He had visited there so at that time he had access to her phones. I'm not able to speak with her in person unless I go on a plane to visit her.

Her brother has his own home and not a room. He lives in the same state as me, so she couldn't look for devices, or break in while he was listening. Those are great ideas though. It would be great to catch him in the act. If I did catch him I'd take action.

Thank you for your reply.I will look through the list of devices. Thank you for the information about the telephone company. I just really know hardly nothing about phone tapping. It is good to talk with someone who has knowledge about tapping and recording.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 05:52:06 PM »
If he has remote access to your friends computer, then that explains a lot.  He could be listening to her through the PC's microphone.  Maybe he's listening that way while your friend talks on the phone.  He could also watch her on her webcam, if she has one hooked up.  If your friend is using DSL or cable but still has a phone line plugged into the computer's modem, it's possible that he's listening to phone conversations through that.  Tell her to disconnect the phone line from the modem if she's not using it.  Your friend should also disconnect her microphone and webcam.  Or maybe just turn off the computer. 

And definitely turn off the remote access.  Giving someone like that remote access to your computer is just a bad idea.

I was just being mean about paragraphs.

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »
I don't see that it would be possible to do a straight wire-tapping from a different state, especially without her knowing about it. That would require one hell of a transmission device, wouldn't it? Because the line surely couldn't be forced to teleconference, so he couldn't listen from home unless the linefeed was wirelessly communicated back to his receiver.

In regards to rbcp's last comment, I also don't see how listening through her modem would introduce "pops and cracks" into the conversation. Wouldn't they be a result of direct tampering with the line? The color blue.
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »
In regards to rbcp's last comment, I also don't see how listening through her modem would introduce "pops and cracks" into the conversation. Wouldn't they be a result of direct tampering with the line?

I don't know if the modem actually has to "pick up" the phone to listen into a line.  But if it does, it seems like that would make a clicking sound similar to someone picking up an extension.

Offline luckdragon

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 10:56:47 PM »
That does make a lot of sense as far as it could be the computer he is listening through. He put the same program in my
computer. He also gave me headphones with a microphone to talk online. I did not suspect anything at the time. He also said I could turn the remote access on and off. The remote access was not letting me turn it on or off. I suspected he had more access than I wanted.

I put up a firewall and uninstalled the program.The headphones on the microphone stopped working. He also told me and my friend to keep our computers on all the time. She doesn't have a webcam but she does have a microphone. Her phone isn't connected as far as I know to her computer. That does make sense. It could be the phone she uses is just a crappy phone?

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 03:43:37 AM »
Kill yourself and your parents.

You forgot shoot up your school.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.