Author Topic: Esquire will make us all RICH!  (Read 4886 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Esquire will make us all RICH!
« on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:40 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YE4BpfcI-AM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/YE4BpfcI-AM&rel=1</a>

The video above is the October 2008 issue of Esquire magazine.  According to them, the 21st century begins now and not in 2000.  Because obviously, the future is stuffing expensive electronics between the pages of magazines to make things blink, just like things blinked on websites in the 1990's.  Sure, it's neat and it's flexible e-ink panels, but flexibility makes very little difference when there's a heavy circuit board stuffed in there with it that has 6 batteries on it.  Supposedly this thing lasts for 4 months.

When I told Spessa that I picked one up at the mall today, she asks what the hell for since I'd been badmouthing it for the past couple days.  Then she took a guess that I was going to buy up all the copies in town to sell on Ebay, just as I'd done with all the Hunter S. Thompson issues of Rolling Stone a few years back.  I hadn't even thought of that!  So I checked Ebay for this Esquire issue and guess what I found?  PEOPLE HAVE PAID $75 FOR THIS ISSUE. 

A search for it on Ebay shows that people are doing Buy It Nows for $75.00.  If you check completed listings, you'll see that people are actually winning the auctions for this much money.  The lowest I saw one go for was $15.50 but most are going for around $75.  It's nuts.  All of you need to run out to your book store immediately and purchase every issue you can find.  They're only $5.99 in the book stores.  Sell 10 of them and you've mad $690.10.

I know that blabbing this to everyone is going to make the price go down on Ebay and I'm going to make less money because of it.  But fuck it, it's all profit.  When I visited the book store today, they had about 10 issues there.  And this was a mall's Waldenbooks in a fairly small town.  Tomorrow I'm going to go there and to Borders and buy every issue they have.  Everyone go do this and post here about how it went.

Back when Hunter S. Thompson died, I made hundreds of dollars by buying up all the Rolling Stone magazines with him on the cover and selling them on Ebay.  I think the highest I was getting for them was $40 at first, and then it slowly went downhill to around $25.  All for a $6 or $7 magazine.  I know I made at least $500 doing that for a month or two, probably more.  Who knows, the price on these Esquires may actually go up since they only printed a limited number of them with the e-ink displays.

When I was doing the Hunter S. Thompson magazines, I gave weird excuses about why I was buying 7 of the same issue.  I told a lady at a grocery store that there was an article in there that I didn't agree with and I didn't want other people in town reading it.  I told another that they wrote an unfavorable review of my band in it.  I think I'm going to tell someone tomorrow that I'm going to burn all the Esquires with my church group because technology like this is satanic.  Or maybe say that I'm building a supercomputer with the parts.  If any of you buy up all the copies around you, be sure to give the craziest reasons you can think of.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
Re: Esquire will make us all RICH!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:35:30 AM »
I love you so much right now.

Offline Altalp

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +244/-20
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:17:41 AM »
I still have all 5 Hunter S. Thompson Rolling Stone issues that I bought last time when you convinced me I would be rich from selling them on ebay. The Esquire cover is pretty darn cool though. I think I will get a copy for myself tomorrow.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »
I still have all 5 Hunter S. Thompson Rolling Stone issues that I bought last time when you convinced me I would be rich from selling them on ebay. The Esquire cover is pretty darn cool though. I think I will get a copy for myself tomorrow.

The Hunter S. Thompson tribute issues are still doing good on Ebay.  I just checked completed listings on it and it's recently sold for $15, $30, $22, $10 and $18.  You should sell yours now and make an easy $100.

Offline Altalp

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +244/-20
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »
I should do that, I need the extra money now that I have to evacuate tomorrow.
While I was at the grocery store fighting mexicans for cases of bottled water, I looked for the Esquire magazine. They had it there, but it didnt have that cover. Is that some special cover for only bookstores?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
I know there are two versions of the cover - the e-ink version and the non-e-ink version.  I'm not sure how they decide where to put the e-ink versions.  I'm heading out right now to buy a few.  I plan to try a few grocery stores so I hope those aren't wasted trips.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »
Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!
I spent my WHOLE DAY driving around town looking for those stupid magazines. Do you have any idea how much gas I had to buy? And guess what? Nobody carries Esquire. And I tried every store I found, even gas stations and coffee shops. The only place that DID have Esquire was a Pages bookstore and they only had the September edition. Oh well, guess I have to try again in a week or two.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
I found 12 of them today.  I'm so much more successful than you!  I visited about 12 places today, but only 2 of them had them.  I bought every issue, which was 6 per place.  One place was Borders and the other was Waldenbooks.  I ran into a lot of places that had the September issue too.  My conversation with the teenage Borders girl went something like this:

GIRL: (looking at the cover) These are so neat.
ME: I'm just buying them for the parts to build a super computer.
GIRL: Really?
ME: Yeah, a super hadron collider.
GIRL: I know a guy that builds computers.
ME: Really?  Mine's going to be like Skynet only more evil.
GIRL: Like what?
ME: Skynet.
GIRL: Oh, I don't even know what that is.

I gave up on trying to be weird at that point.  I'm going to go to Salem this weekend and buy some more of these.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »
it's not funny to joke about the LHC, rbcp.

You realize we're all being torn apart by blackholes as you type, right?

Offline nova

• El Fireman
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +25/-83
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:01:31 PM »
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

Thats why im not going along with this.

Good idea though.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:09:21 PM by nova »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
I just hax0red one of my e-ink displays.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P2_WJqhG_Bo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/P2_WJqhG_Bo&rel=1</a>

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:37:44 AM »
Ebay is getting flooded with these things so the price has gone way down.  I just sold 3 of them for $30 each, which is still pretty great.  I bet if we wait about a month, there will be less competition and the prices can go up a little.  Some people are selling them as auctions and only getting a couple bucks profit, which is probably nothing at all when you add in the Ebay and PayPal fees. 

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
The real trick will be selling these things in three months, when all the batteries will have died.  If you can wait until then, and replace the coin cells without trashing the cover, you'll probably get a lot more on evilBay.
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »
Do the ones you hacked stay like that, or is it just temporary?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »
Do the ones you hacked stay like that, or is it just temporary?

I "hacked" that one by just printing out a new clear overlay that sat on top of the e-ink display.  All those pictures on the e-ink that light up are just clear plastic over the front.

I wonder if people will still want them once the batteries run down.  The people buying them now must realize that these don't last forever.  I sold 3 issues today for a total of $90, which pays for my original investment on these.  The remaining 9 issues will be all profit.