Author Topic: Inflatable Punching Bags and other Halloween Memories of yesteryear...  (Read 1662 times)

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
Does anyone here remember those old inflatable punching bags we had as kids? They usually had a superhero of some kind on them (mine had the Incredible Hulk) and a weight in the bottom to make it stand back up after punches. Do they still make those things? I guess with the imminent arrival of Halloween upon us repressed memories of my youth come to surface.

That and the fact someone told me that murd0c has no legs but is rather shaped like a bowling pin...

I also remember when I was 9 or 10 being too poor to buy a 'real' ghost buster's proton pack so instead I tied an old shoebox to my back that I had outfitted with flashing lights and old/empty make-up containers. I had a broken GI Joe gun (one that you would pull the trigger and it spun something inside with a bit of resistance so that it made sparks and a grinding / firing noise ) also attached to the shoebox. I wore one of my granddad's brown shirts to which I had stitched the Ghost Buster emblem on the left sleeve. The emblem was actually cut out of a box of cereal or another toy box... I remember it was made of cardboard tho.

Do any kids today make their own Halloween outfits? Are they that creative, or are they spoiled by mommy and daddy just buying them everything they want?? I remember some of my best times were had inside a fort of two cardboard boxes, me with a 9-volt attached flashlight bulb...

Ok this thread has went all over the place before the first person even replies. Me thinks I am too tired to be writing at this moment... Oh well...
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline handl3r

• Elite Cactus Squad
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +53/-11
Re: Inflatable Punching Bags and other Halloween Memories of yesteryear...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
i always made my own costumes. and they were badass. all the other kids ph33r3d my sewing skillz (moms sewing skillz)

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:48:42 PM »
A couple halloweens ago me and my friend wanted to go trick-or-treating, which was kinda weird at 15, but whatever. Anyway, we needed a costume, but we wanted it to be the scariest thing we could think of. So we took a picture of my step-sister while she was sleeping, printed it out, attached it to a coat hanger, and let it drape over our faces. Everybody in the neighborhood would fall into shock when they gazed upon the horrible sight.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
I find making a ninja costume is pretty easy. Black pants, black shirt, and use a black shirt to make a ninja mask. Voila, ninja costume.

People will probably say you look like a terrorist however.

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
I'm a costume nut even outside of Halloween.  I always made my own costumes as soon as I was able to, and I still do.  It's so much more fun that way.

And those toy punching bags were called Bop Bags.  They were awesome, but since I never had my own I would just hit my sister.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:49:29 AM by RTF »
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |

Offline MoeThirteen

• Party Van Driver
  • Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
One year i got a jason mask and took apart one of our shitty kitchen knives and attached it to one of my mom's plastic hair bands.

While i was out with this costume, which included a real hatchet, i really scared a woman at one house. she answered the door and her eyes got all wide and she said "Jesus Christ thats a real knife!" I then held up the hatchet and said trick or treat, the hatchet did not calm her down.

One of the best Halloweens.
The lurker with an account formally known as "Party Van"

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:11:27 AM »
And those toy punching bags were called Bop Bags.  They were awesome, but since I never had my own I would just hit my sister.

I had a Mike Tyson bop bag back in the day.

I wish I knew what happened to it since things that point to his fame (like Mike Tyson's Punch Out before Nintendo lost its balls and renamed it) became pretty rare after it became common knowledge that he was tough-loving Robin Givens, and raping Miss Black Rhode Island.

Come to think of it, Nintendo probably did themselves a favor. Punch Out by itself sounds much better than Malik Abdul Aziz's Punch Out.
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline m0rdekai

• IBA IBA IBA
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +31/-28
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
One year i got a jason mask and took apart one of our shitty kitchen knives and attached it to one of my mom's plastic hair bands.

While i was out with this costume, which included a real hatchet, i really scared a woman at one house. she answered the door and her eyes got all wide and she said "Jesus Christ thats a real knife!" I then held up the hatchet and said trick or treat, the hatchet did not calm her down.

One of the best Halloweens.

My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.@hachet.  i always wanted to do this.  Instead i would just write IRS audit agent on a shirt.  that always got a few laughs.

Careful Nod.  He's just a very clever spambot. 

Your moms a spambot.