Author Topic: Switching broken item for new  (Read 29335 times)

Offline garee

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-1
  • Low-level employee
Re: Switching broken item for new
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
I'm only posting here to help "advise" anyone reading this topic, thinking they might give this technique a try.

If you're reading this, you were searching about how to successfully commit fraud.  You found this topic which describes a scenario of how one might do this.

DON'T DO IT.

For small items (e.g. under $100) it will probably work, but for any higher ticket items you will very likely be caught.  How?  These kinds of items have a special RFID tag embedded inside them.  This isn't something stuck to the cabinet, but actually located inside the electronics.  You won't be able to find it.  This item is scanned to verify the serial number of the item.  If you take a broken version and simply swap the casing part that has the model and serial #'s, they won't match the internal serial number.  So, when the manufacturer receives the defective merchandise from the retailer and finds the discrepancy, the retailer will be notified and be denied credit for the merchandise.  At this point, the retailer contacts the local authorities to report a crime, with your name and contact details on it.  Let the hunt begin.

Now, you're thinking... OK, I'll try it and if it doesn't work then I'll just plead ignorant.  No.  Your very act of returning a swapped product like this constitutes grand larceny, which is a misdemeanor.  Do you really want a criminal record?  I highly doubt it.

If you want to take a risk on getting something for free, play the lottery.   Committing larceny is simply not worth it.  Good luck to you...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:55:12 PM by garee »

Offline Arox!

• please don't tickle me
  • PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-42
  • *Random Mike Tyson Quote*
Re: Switching broken item for new
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »
I'm only posting here to help "advise" anyone reading this topic, thinking they might give this technique a try.

If you're reading this, you were searching about how to successfully commit fraud.  You found this topic which describes a scenario of how one might do this.

DON'T DO IT.

For small items (e.g. under $100) it will probably work, but for any higher ticket items you will very likely be caught.  How?  These kinds of items have a special RFID tag embedded inside them.  This isn't something stuck to the cabinet, but actually located inside the electronics.  You won't be able to find it.  This item is scanned to verify the serial number of the item.  If you take a broken version and simply swap the casing part that has the model and serial #'s, they won't match the internal serial number.  So, when the manufacturer receives the defective merchandise from the retailer and finds the discrepancy, the retailer will be notified and be denied credit for the merchandise.  At this point, the retailer contacts the local authorities to report a crime, with your name and contact details on it.  Let the hunt begin.

Now, you're thinking... OK, I'll try it and if it doesn't work then I'll just plead ignorant.  No.  Your very act of returning a swapped product like this constitutes grand larceny, which is a misdemeanor.  Do you really want a criminal record?  I highly doubt it.

If you want to take a risk on getting something for free, play the lottery.   Committing larceny is simply not worth it.  Good luck to you...

Okay lets say this does happen, how could they prove it was you that did the swap? An unknown 3rd party could have swapped it and you have purchased it that way.

Also if you pay cash,  how would they go about finding you? I know some retailers are starting to record personal information on all returns but many if you have your receipt require none.

But yea I suppose you can get in trouble if you do it repeatedly  but once or twice I think you will be fine.  Plus I'm going to build a huge microwave so I can fit a TV in to fry the rfid chip so jokes on you sucker!
L̬͙O͓Ḽ̼͔̭̯