Author Topic: Buy My Movie NOW!  (Read 5733 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Buy My Movie NOW!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
We have a dedicated computer hooked directly into our HDTV's VGA port, so we're able to watch movies that way.  It's just not as simple as turning on the Xbox (instant on instead of waiting for a PC to boot) and scrolling to the movie we want to see.  You have to boot up, you have to run updates, we don't have a remote for the PC so we have to go over and select what we want with the mouse, which is a pain for scrolling through movies when the TV is mounted up on the wall.  I know, I know, get a remote for the PC. 

I'm not saying I hate torrents.  I use them frequently (less and less frequently, thanks to Hulu and Netflix) and some of the stuff I get ends up on our Xbox hard drive.  It's just annoying not to know what's going to work on there and what isn't.  But even without that small issue, Netflix is just a lot more convenient to me.

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »
Nice, your IMDB comment made it.

I think mine got rejected, though. It doesn't give me the message that I have a comment waiting for review anymore.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »
You get the actual DVD with Netflix, so you can watch the extras and commentary.
You can find torrents with all those crappy extras more often then not. Many of them are just ISOs (or another disk image format) of the DVD.

Where do you go for torrents? I find that I can rarely find an ISO unless it's a popular mainsteam movie.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »
Where do you go for torrents? I find that I can rarely find an ISO unless it's a popular mainsteam movie.

I've been using nothing but thepiratebay.org for at least a year now.  Mostly for music and occasionally software, but I usually find the movies I'm looking for there.

Another great thing about Netflix is that it recommends lots of weird, non-mainstream stuff to me based on what I've watched.  I've watched a ton of movies this past year that I otherwise would have never discovered.

Offline Godot

• Go away, PLA!
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-7
    • Godot's Website
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »
Where do you go for torrents?
For movies I tend to search the following in order of top to bottom:
thepiratebay
isohunt
mininova
btjunkie
google

Recently I have starting using eztv.it for all my TV show torrents.

Again, I just collect the torrent files. I would never load the torrent into a client and get the film or show itself. That would be both illegal and unlawful.
"I bought a cactus and it died a week later... I was really depressed, I thought, 'Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.'" -Demetri Martin

Offline Tachyon

• Minister of Defence
  • OMG Mod
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +125/-62
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »
Doesn't isohunt index thepiratebay?
Do you speak two languages?

"Detective Don Gombo: IM AFRAID THE ONLY ONE "F" IS "U" MY FRIEND. WELCOME TO THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE WEB!"

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 05:04:47 AM »

I've been using nothing but thepiratebay.org for at least a year now.  Mostly for music and occasionally software, but I usually find the movies I'm looking for there.

Another great thing about Netflix is that it recommends lots of weird, non-mainstream stuff to me based on what I've watched.  I've watched a ton of movies this past year that I otherwise would have never discovered.

Me too with piratebay, I know there are other sites but I like reading the latest swedish-english insults.

And the netflix thing is almost a curse. I haven't sent back a DVD in like two months but I'm afraid to cancel my subscription because I'll lose all those recommendations.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
I just watched Jenn's movie.  It was...different.  Kind of reminded me of Phil the Alien, if anyone's ever seen that.  Overall, pretty fun to watch.  Her short scene makes a lot more sense when you see the rest of the movie.  And you don't see her shoe fly off.  Now I know a real movie star.  Jenn, go to Defcon this year so I can get your autograph.