Author Topic: The Phone Show  (Read 109614 times)

Offline rogueclown

• phone mob enforcer
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +60/-38
  • Awkward Hugs for everyone!
    • rogueclown.net
Re: The Phone Show
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:21 PM »
i called in a million times last night, but never got through...which sucks for me, but i'm glad to see that people are calling in enough to clog the lines.  ;-)
RogueClown has been known to cause the following side effects. Smiling, <3ing, dizziness, and the desire to listen to poorly recorded phone mobs. RogueClown is an MAO inhibitor.
  --Nod

Offline immabadspellor_

• PLA Underling
  • 1337 13V3L: +27/-2
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »
1) As per a quote in one of the Wikipedia deletion votes, they are a pirate running either 250W or 1kW (not likely, else a Google search would have turned up angry hams and a mention or two in NERW)

2) As per other Wikipedia comments and vague details on wbxo.com, they are a Part 15 unlicensed FM running 0.1W from a mountaintop, and might-maybe-kinda-sorta reach out for a mile or two (rather likely - I'd bet they're a "reformed pirate" that dropped their power after the FCC got too close for comfort, or perhaps a quasi-pirate running just outside the Part 15 restrictions)

If the FCC measured a field strength of 2,791mV/m @ 644m then they were probably only running 7 watts.  Maybe more depending on how long of a coax run they had, connector loss, etc, or maybe less if they had a kick ass antenna.  Definitely not 250W.  They could have just been running on exciter power when the FCC took their readings and crank up an amp at other times.  Either way, hams would generally care less unless the broadcast band pirate had a dirty transmitter, as in not spectrally clean.  The only harmonic of 102.5MHz that lies within a ham band is the 9th order harmonic in the 33cm band and it is so many dB down from the primary output power that it wouldn't be heard beyond a few dozen feet from the transmitter.  It may mix with a transmitter in the low VHF band to create intermod, but still, ham interference would be very minimal unless the people who built the transmitter's filtering sections were idiots.

Legal limit for Part 15 in the FM broadcast band is much lower than 0.1W.  You're allowed a field strength of 250mV at a distance of 3 meters.  Transmitting into a 0dBd gain antenna with no feed line loss you would only need to transmit .0000012 Watts.  A whole 1.2 MICROwatts.  That's why the FM transmitters built into satellite radios and that you buy for MP3 players only manage to transmit a dozen feet. 

Offline Altalp

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +244/-20
!
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2009, 11:51:03 PM »
Last night's show archive is up. http://www.phonelosers.org/media/thephoneshow.090413.shortened.mp3

Thanks for listening, everyone!

404 your stupid link doesnt work!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: !
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2009, 07:06:45 AM »
Last night's show archive is up. http://www.phonelosers.org/media/thephoneshow.090413.shortened.mp3

Thanks for listening, everyone!

404 your stupid link doesnt work!

Ah, my 2nd server move this week killed it.  I'm reuploading it right now.

Offline delysid

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-4
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2009, 01:36:11 PM »
Trap Call does work pretty good. But, I thought that K7 no longer grabbed ANI.

Offline InternetJunky

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +7/-2
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »
Trap Call does work pretty good. But, I thought that K7 no longer grabbed ANI.

I played with K7 a while back after people told me to try it out.Its a great free voicemail service, but  it only got my number after I listened to the greeting and left a message.I'm going to try trapcall tonight; I think theres a video of Mitnick showing how to unmask blocked numbers using asterisk, but Ive never gotten any help from the phone company.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
I set up an RSS feed for the shows.  It's here:

http://www.phonelosers.org/phoneshow.xml

It might change to something else eventually.  I'm still looking at different feed programs since I'm too lazy to keep encoding it manually every week.

Offline nwbell

• catsex and dead hookers?
  • Full-time Posting Prostitute
  • 1337 13V3L: +10/-0
  • My bid is five... five CACTI! BWAHAHA!!!
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
If the FCC measured a field strength of 2,791mV/m @ 644m then they were probably only running 7 watts.  Maybe more depending on how long of a coax run they had, connector loss, etc, or maybe less if they had a kick ass antenna.  Definitely not 250W.

Yeah, I consider myself pwned now. My knowledge of RF engineering is pretty weak, mad Googling skillz notwithstanding. :o
I am an internet haxor. I haxor the internet. It's a pretty good job, million a year plus bennies. So, yeah.
PLA-Minnesota... "A Distant Memory To The Unfortunate Few" • (206) 350-CACTI

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2009, 07:22:39 AM »
The new episode is up!  Last night my internet connection completely died just as I was trying to end the show, so that's why there was such an abrupt ending.

http://www.phonelosers.org/phoneshow.xml is the RSS feed for The Phone Show.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
The new episode is up!  Last night my internet connection completely died just as I was trying to end the show, so that's why there was such an abrupt ending.

I like the Phone Show, but I always fall asleep about halfway through.
I think that maybe you should forget about the radio thing, and just have the show on Stickam or something. And at a reasonable hour. You'd probably get a lot more views that way.
(Even though being on the radio is pretty cool...)

Offline RushPwnsX

• Shitty Bassist
  • PLA South American Ambassador
  • 1337 13V3L: +18/-31
  • 1337 13V3L: +9999/-1
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »

I like the Phone Show, but I always fall asleep about halfway through.
I think that maybe you should forget about the radio thing, and just have the show on Stickam or something. And at a reasonable hour. You'd probably get a lot more views that way.
(Even though being on the radio is pretty cool...)
What's not reasonable about 2-3am est? Maybe that's just the way for me because I go to sleep at 5-6am.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:19:58 AM by RushPwnsX »
Atonal apples.

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2009, 12:15:16 PM »
i kept suggesting that we move the show to 4pm PT, but rbcp objects,

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2009, 01:27:26 PM »

I'm busy pretty much every Monday at 4pm.  If a slot ever opens up maybe an hour or two earlier, I might take that.  Things would be so much easier if we lived on the east coast.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »

He should be kicked out of the PLA for this!

What's not reasonable about 2-3am est? Maybe that's just the way for me because I go to sleep at 5-6am.

Ah, youth.  :'( NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:36:22 PM by jayeennenn »

Offline notlist3d

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »
Pretty amazed you got the "world-famous investigator" in this weeks episode, did it take weeks of contacting his people to get time scheduled with him?   ;D