Author Topic: hey trevelyn...  (Read 2238 times)

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
hey trevelyn...
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »
what does Oracle buying Sun mean for you?

good news? bad news? nothing?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:23:28 PM by rbcp »

Offline sabrebutt

• Toothpaste Salesperson
  • Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +11/-5
  • Ask me about my smile.
Re: hey trevelyn...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »
This is the stupidest thing that oracle could have done. First off, 7.4 BILLION??!

:nonsense:

What does Sun even have that's worth 7.4 Million?

Solaris is SHIT.

JAVA is SHIT.

MySQL is forked and is SHIT.

And all of it is available for free and the only way to profit from it is from support.

Oracle is in big trouble, wasting 7.4 billion and paying off sun's debt of almost 2 billion in the process.

The only thing sun makes that I like is virtual box. Just my twelve cents.

Offline insidi0us

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »
Well firstoff l ur a dick, <3 mysql. But i rember seeing an article about how half the internet runs on sun or something like that.

Offline Magus

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-108
  • "The forums token cranky old man." -Jenn
    • sebanderson.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:55 PM »
Well firstoff l ur a dick, <3 mysql. But i rember seeing an article about how half the internet runs on sun or something like that.

half the internet is retarded.

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »

half the internet is retarded.

Whatever gave you that idea?  :nonsense: :nonsense: :nonsense:

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:44:12 AM »
This is the stupidest thing that oracle could have done. First off, 7.4 BILLION??!

:nonsense:

What does Sun even have that's worth 7.4 Million?

Solaris is SHIT.

JAVA is SHIT.

MySQL is forked and is SHIT.

And all of it is available for free and the only way to profit from it is from support.

Oracle is in big trouble, wasting 7.4 billion and paying off sun's debt of almost 2 billion in the process.

The only thing sun makes that I like is virtual box. Just my twelve cents.

They could possibly turn to charging for these services seeing as they now OWN and hold title over each of the licenses. It wouldn't surprise me to see another edition of Solaris; only this time you need to blow a wad of cash on it like Red Hat.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 04:06:13 AM »
Oracle buys everything and tears it to shit. Siebel was a big deal, then Oracle bought it and now it's supported by 2 guys in a broom closet somewhere. Oracle buys companies not to make use of their product lines and assets, but to ritually murder them and bathe in their rejuvenating blood.

Offline I-baLL

• OMG Mod
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +33/-7
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 06:11:50 AM »
So what you're saying is that Oracle is basically just like Symantec?

Offline trevelyn

• Administrator
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +183/-22
  • He likes cans and taking pictures in cans!
    • WeakNet Labs
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 05:58:10 PM »
LINEAR! <3 well, my five year goal is burned in a fiery ball of oracle, yes.. I admit, i did in fact start a 5 yr goal to work for Sun last year in january, but, the way things are going for me and my professional advancements dont leave any room for choice.. I guess I'll just follow the money.  I will never stop loving Solaris, MySQl, or ZFS, but if they go, then i would have minus 3 huge skill sets! My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.
uuuh, shit, the IBM rumor scared me a bit, but then my dad calls me and told me about this.. I got like 6 emails with the same link in it that morning.  kinda sucks but. 

Now I guess I wanna just be a System Admin again.  Sun was weird about their social / image with customers.  When i bought a server from them they wouldnt stop calling me and such, I cant deal with people anymore, just machines.  This year at the Perl conference here in Pittsburgh, I have a small interview that may change my life (not Perl related).  So I will pull my collar up, and face the new day each day and cross my fingers.

You all better go to HOPE next year.  please?  HOPE is kinda corny, but I just like being around PLA.

Offline Zazen

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +34/-14
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 06:45:24 AM »
I will never stop loving Solaris, MySQl, or ZFS, but if they go, then i would have minus 3 huge skill sets!

Don't worry about this. Even if Sun stopped working on those things, companies will keep using them for decades and there will be a demand for those skills.