Author Topic: Midland 75-785 Handheld Radio Drive Thru Modification Failure  (Read 7702 times)

merelyconfused

Midland 75-785 Handheld Radio Drive Thru Modification Failure
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
So here's the problem. I bought a 40 channel Midland 75-785 handheld transceiver and acquired a 6.5536 mhz crystal to swap into it. I opened the radio up, desoldered the old crystal, soldered the new one in, and I figured I was done. When I was putting the case back together, I accidentally pulled off a green wire that was coming from the speaker/diplay/mic pc board to, I think, a big solder mess that seems to connect to the external antenna. I soldered it back on, and closed the transceiver back up.
When I turned it on, everything seemed to be working fine, but absolutely no sound was coming through the speaker. The only way I could tell that it was on was by turning up the volume all the way and hearing that barely-perceptible whine. Moving the scquelch setting all the way to zero perhaps no static whatsoever. What could I have done? Was it a bad soldering job of the diode? That green mystery wire? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Midland 75-785 Handheld Radio Drive Thru Modification Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
Give me your phone number and I'll call and walk you through the process tonight on The Phone Show.

merelyconfused

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'd really appreciate the help, but I have some reservations giving someone on this forum my phone number. Especially for a show where you guys prank call people.  ;D

If you are, however, being entirely honest, I genuinely apologize.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:47:13 PM by merelyconfused »

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
Well call the phone show anonymously soon and we'll help you on the air so other people get help too.

merelyconfused

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »
So just call into the voicebridge?

merelyconfused

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
Well fuck me.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:16:33 PM »
Well fuck me.

Haha.  Sorry!  You can solder the old crystal back in and resell it on Ebay.

You should send me your address and I'll give you a sticker and PLA media CD so I don't feel as bad.

merelyconfused

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 06:30:55 AM »
hah ok. I do have to say, it's quite impressive that you guys are still getting people with that video after two years. It's the most convincing hoax I've ever seen on the internet. The encouraging comments posted everywhere by people from this forum really did the trick.

However, it is obvious that you guys actually did do this. Perhaps with the yaesu? If so, I'd love to set that up for real, if anyone if willing to help with that.  ;D

PLA, Good Job!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:34:41 AM by merelyconfused »

Offline haxxor

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
If you are still interested in the drive through hijack you can grab yourself something like a Baofeng uv-5r.  The Baofeng is a lot cheaper than the Yaesu radios that they used and come "wide open" so no frequency mods are needed.  It would also good idea to snag a dual band mag mount antenna and appropriate adapters.