Author Topic: TPS Contests  (Read 4881 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
TPS Contests
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »
The Phone Show needs moar contests.  I'm kind of tired of the Google Voice thing, mostly because it's time-consuming to set it up and the translations are either perfect or they're TOO terrible and would be impossible to translate.

The only idea I've got is trivia, where callers answer questions about PLA stuff or geeky movies or whatever to win amazing prizes.  Surely someone here can come up with something better than that.

Offline Nod

• Quando omni flunkus moritati
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +210/-138
  • 212-389-1318
    • twitter: @mrnudnik
Re: TPS Contests
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
What about a live social engineering contest? People call in and you connect them with random stores or whatever and whomever can get the clerk to do the most outrageous thing wins.
I HATE the bridge.
Meme Roth is a Food Nazi Cunt

Offline PHISH-PHREAK

• PLA Minion
  • 1337 13V3L: +68/-26
    • 954 Phone Losers
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »
What about a live social engineering contest? People call in and you connect them with random stores or whatever and whomever can get the clerk to do the most outrageous thing wins.

Like breaking store windows and setting off fire alarms?

Once the pranknet guy calls we wouldnt have a chance....

Offline jx

• PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +62/-22
  • When the fone green I pink up the fone&say yellow
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:09 PM »

Like breaking store windows and setting off fire alarms?

Once the pranknet guy calls we wouldnt have a chance....

My own mediocre attempt at humor has been highly amusing to myself.. I already have an idea...

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »
Since I totally want to disrupt Coast to Coast Am some night when George Noory is hosting, how about a contest to see who can get through their three levels of screeners and mention cactus related paranormal phenomena?  Getting on the air with him is very tricky so it definitely would be a challenge.  Or any popular talk show for that matter, working cactus into whatever topic is on the table.

Offline blu3b0y

• Baby Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-0
  • Low-life employee
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:24:30 PM »
How about a scavenger hunt. You could call people and ask them to play and they could win prize xzy. Then send them around town collecting various things like the autograph of a 7-11 employee. The only thing is give them 1 clue at a time and make them call in like every 15 minutes to get the next clue

Offline wicc

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-1
  • Independent Contractor with no benefits
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 02:13:09 AM »
Since I totally want to disrupt Coast to Coast Am some night when George Noory is hosting, how about a contest to see who can get through their three levels of screeners and mention cactus related paranormal phenomena?  Getting on the air with him is very tricky so it definitely would be a challenge.  Or any popular talk show for that matter, working cactus into whatever topic is on the table.

This is an excellent idea. In the early 90s when Larry King had a radio show with open phones, they didn't screen it.  We phone mobbed him with calls that started off on a serious topic or with a serious question and then turned the topic into nudism and nude beaches.  He was really pissed.  Larry's gone.  Noory is a great target with high degree of difficulty- maybe we can go for that guy who does psychic readings on weekend nights?  He's national.  PLA should shoot for national.  Cactus must spread across North America over terrestrial radio now that the Hudson Valley is no longer a good climate for cactus.

I have a cassette (very poor sound quality) of the Larry King calls. They aren't as funny 20 years later but the calls have sentimental value. Lost youth. The tape is a copy and has degraded. Any suggestions on how to fix the background noise and convert it to an MP3?  I have a cassette player from Radio Shack. Can't believe they still sell them.

If RBCP is willing to take a crack, I'd mail him the tape and donate $25 toward the Albany Brick Project.
Never freeze mayonnaise.  You'll wind up with an oily mess.

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »
If you were into sharing WAV or FLAC files of those tapes, I'm sure there are enough audio geeks around here (myself included) who'd be willing to take a shot at cleaning them up and restoring them.
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |

Offline wicc

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-1
  • Independent Contractor with no benefits
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
Mr. Firefly- kind of you to offer!  I'd be very willing to share the files. I don't know if they are particularly funny, other than that we got Larry King really irritated.  If you are interested or anyone out there is, could you please send me a message with how to reach you?  Obviously, the file can be kept / shared by anyone.  I'll still send some cash to RBCP for his Albany Brick.  I used to live near there and those locals will really get wound up over his plot.
Never freeze mayonnaise.  You'll wind up with an oily mess.