Author Topic: PLA Book update  (Read 21282 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: PLA Book update
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »

My stamping skills could use a little work.  I fucked up the first 3 pages I tried it on, finally got it sort of right about 30 pages in.  Hopefully I don't mess up any real books.

The numbers are only going to be 3 digits long, so I'm going to use a knife to scrape the rubber off the remaining 3 digits.  I'm only going to number the first 100 books.  Where should I stamp at?  On the inside of the front cover?  On the very first page that has "Phone Losers of America" written on it?  In the middle of the book, on top of words just to piss people off?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:20:28 PM by rbcp »

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »
Some books contain that weird second page. The first one that declares the title of the book inside of the book, and then another that has a lot of jibberish on it thanking people for whatever reason before they get to the index. If you book has an index, I think you should stamp it some where in there. Or if it has that first title page, then have it in there. Basically where any blotch of huge, wasted, white page is. Hell, depending if on the header of the chapters, why not on the first page of the first chapter? That'd be a fun place to put it.

If I ever get my meager earnings from my job I already lost, I'll be purchasing a copy of the book. A man needs his priorities.

Offline kingmob

• Stupid Post Maker
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-2
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
Why not stamp each copy in a random spot?
As a hidden track for the audiobook, maybe you could record yourself stamping them.

Offline RTF

• El teléfono está descolgado.
  • Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +43/-4
  • Rob T Firefly hearts you.
    • me dot net
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
The numbers are only going to be 3 digits long, so I'm going to use a knife to scrape the rubber off the remaining 3 digits.
That might result in blobs of ink where those scraped bits hit the paper.  An alternative way of blanking out the last numbers is to get a post-it note and stick it to the page where the unwanted digits will hit, so the post-it gets stamped and not the book.

CORPORATE AMERICA HAX.
| blog | art blog | HOPE | OTH |

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »
The numbers are only going to be 3 digits long, so I'm going to use a knife to scrape the rubber off the remaining 3 digits.
That might result in blobs of ink where those scraped bits hit the paper.  An alternative way of blanking out the last numbers is to get a post-it note and stick it to the page where the unwanted digits will hit, so the post-it gets stamped and not the book.

CORPORATE AMERICA HAX.

Thanks RTF!  I will definitely do it that way so I don't have to cut up my expensive $4.97 number stamp.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »

Looks like I'll be practicing my stamping skills today.

Offline DBK

• Gay people love stereotypes!
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +14/-8
  • TELECOM-MUPISSED OFF@! HAR HAR
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
SEND THEM NOW THE WAIT IS KILLING ME AHHHHHHHH

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 04:05:34 PM »
SEND THEM NOW THE WAIT IS KILLING ME AHHHHHHHH

I'm doing them in the order they were ordered from me.  I mailed out 10 today and I'm hoping to do 20 or 30 tomorrow and keep up that pace so they're all sent out this week.  Unless I run out of money to ship them, which is a possibility.

Too bad you're SO FAR down on the list, DBK!

I'm shipping everything media rate, which makes it possible that it could take 10 days to receive it.  But I think it's usually half that.  Spessa is two states away from me and she got hers in just 3 days.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »

I just returned from mailing out about 40 books.  The post office lady says that they should all arrive by next Tuesday, so I guess it's not likely to take the full 10 days like I said.

I was expecting the other half of the 100 books I ordered to arrive today, but they didn't so I can't work on getting those all boxed up tonight.  Hopefully tomorrow.  In any case, it looks like I will definitely have all the preorders mailed out this week, probably by at least Thursday.

I may have forgotten to include a PLA sticker with an order or two.  If I did, let me know and I'll send you one.  I've also been throwing in old issues of Phoneloser Monthly, Party 934 postcard ads and PLA/UPL business cards.  Though I think I'm going to run out of that stuff before I'm finished with all these.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
I'm posting images and a video below, just for the benefit of people on Twitter that I'm sending to this thread to read about PLA book updates AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME.

YouTube video about PLA books: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6_BvJmxkL8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6_BvJmxkL8&rel=1</a>

Info about the book's chapters can be found at http://www.phonelosers.org/book/.  The $10 preorder price is still good, until I get around to changing the link so that it costs $79.99.

The book will be available on Kindle/Nook/Etc very soon, and I'm sure on your favorite torrent mere days after that.

Offline Raptor

• OMG MOD wannabe
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +80/-52
  • We can be happy underground
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »
Who's this RBCP guy and why would I want to read his "book" anyways?? Let me know about the ordering information though. I've been waiting to read this for a long time!
Raptor\\\'s Random Reviews!

http://www.phonelosers.org/forums/index.php?board=30.0

Offline macadamiaman

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
You have a crazy rug. Or carpet rather. Or whatever it is covering your floor.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »
I STILL haven't received the 2nd half of my books shipment.  That'd sure suck if it got lost in the mail or something.  I ordered the 2nd shipment the day after the first, so I'm not sure why it's taking an entire extra week (so far) for them to arrive.

So 50 books have been mailed out now and I'm still waiting for the shipment so I can mail out the other 50.  I'll post on here as soon as they arrive.

Offline DBK

• Gay people love stereotypes!
  • Elite Cactus Squad
  • PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +14/-8
  • TELECOM-MUPISSED OFF@! HAR HAR
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
So in all seriousness, did mine get shipped out yet or was it slated to be part of the fabled shipment which was intercepted by Homeland Security?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »
So in all seriousness, did mine get shipped out yet or was it slated to be part of the fabled shipment which was intercepted by Homeland Security?

Yours hasn't gone out yet.  I was shipping them all out in the order they were received, but had to stop after 50.  I really hope the rest of them arrive tomorrow so I can send these out.  I hate that I announced that they're all being shipped and half of them haven't.