Other Stuff That Has Little To Do With PLA > Ask Anyone

Exiting Through Fire Doors

(1/3) > >>

rbcp:
Lately I've been really itching to open up doors that are labeled EMERGENCY EXIT ONLY and casually hang around outside them once I've exited.  I want to see what the reactions of managers and store security are to that.  It'd be a social experiment!  I'd film it all, of course.  Or at least get audio of it.

I remember when working at Target, someone exited through a fire exit right by the service desk and restrooms, setting off the alarm.  A few kids were in the restroom hallway and one of the managers was freaking out, asking the kids if they saw who went out the door and if the person had any merchandise with him.  I want to do this at Targets and Wal-Marts and Fred Meyers.  I want to say I was looking for the rest room or I was just stepping outside for a smoke break.

My question is - is this illegal?  Does the simple act of labeling a door an emergency exit make it illegal to open it?  Is it the same as setting on a store's fire alarm?

ApprenticePhreak:
I believe it's actually nothing more than a store level security system. In fact I'm fairly certain it doesn't even call any form of official to the store which would in turn delegate your livelihood afterward. But all in all you really can't be harassed for it in a legal sense as I've seen these doors set off countless times while I was working at Home Depot by some miscreant pieces of shit who were looking to steal chainsaws and lawn mowers but without the common sense to realize a klaxton alarm would fill the air at the press of the button.

Most I've seen done in these scenarios are a few managers come by and the store manager if available, and may even try to hastily evacuate customers or just question you in bold as to why you're there and either not running for the hills, or why you did it.

BaconStrips:
of coure it legal. Who can blame you for walking through a door? Who cares what the sign says...I say do it!!!

nyphonejacks:
i do not see how or why this would be considered illegal...

you could come up with just about any reason why it was an "emergency" for you to go out the door... such as your nicotine dropped to low, and you needed to get outside for your emergency cigarette, or something like, someone just texted you that there was a sale at one of their competitors stores, and you had to get there quickly, because much of the merchandise was gone already..

now if the door is not labeled "emergency" but "fire exit" or something similar... i guess you would have to come up with some other type of stupid excuse...

Nod:
I know for a fact that the store I worked at had the fire/emergency exit door tied into the alarm system so that it would not only be annoyingly loud if it went off but would also alert the fire dept. Tread carefully.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version