Author Topic: A New Direct0ry  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Alpha Omicron

• Beige Boxer Supreme
  • Eldery & Confused PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-6
A New Direct0ry
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »
I think it would be a worthwhile project to put together a new direct0ry of interesting numbers. We could start by scanning through the 2K4 UPL Direct0ry, and removing the numbers that no longer go where they did back then (approx. 98%), and leaving out the payphone numbers (easily found elsewhere). Then we could add our submissions (in this thread or by emailing them to me, whatever) presuming the submitter actually knows the number works. And some really old skool 1337 dude with a bluebox could test those supposedly blueboxable international toll-free numbers.

So what do we think?

IluvInternet24/7

Re: A New Direct0ry
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:52:25 AM »
"We" think awesome.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »
The first three pinned topics on BinRev have some really interesting numbers in them.  Good sources for pay phones are El Jefe's payphone directory and the payphone project.  I forget who it was, but I think I remember someone on the BinRev forums starting up a new phone directory that was in a user-submittable database format.  Anyone have the link for that?

Offline linear

• High Priest of Operations
  • OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +47/-79
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »
The first three pinned topics on BinRev have some really interesting numbers in them.  Good sources for pay phones are El Jefe's payphone directory and the payphone project.  I forget who it was, but I think I remember someone on the BinRev forums starting up a new phone directory that was in a user-submittable database format.  Anyone have the link for that?

My idea was to bring back the UPL/PLA Director0y in a user-submitted environment as well. I don't know how successful this would be though. I would also do away with the payphone list, as there are multiple other payphone directories (most notably el_jefe's), and they're kind of worthless since a majority of them doen't accept incoming calls anyway.

Offline Alpha Omicron

• Beige Boxer Supreme
  • Eldery & Confused PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-6
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:04:04 PM »
Which reminds me that I tried to get an op to call a payfone I was at today. Jeez those girls are mean sometimes. I prolly should have impersonated a tech or something.

Offline silentneep

• If elected, I promise a ME TOO post once a year to keep my account active and a chicken in every pot brownie.
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +56/-36
  • I have no idea where I am.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:32:25 PM »
I would also do away with the payphone list, as there are multiple other payphone directories (most notably el_jefe's), and they're kind of worthless since a majority of them doen't accept incoming calls anyway.

It'd be great if we could get some people to work on verifying which ones accept incoming calls and have a list of just those.

I think the big problem with the director0y would be hosting.  I recall both Arbie and linear saying that they didn't want to deal with people getting pissed about getting calls/finding their numbers on a website and coming after the webmaster.  Did you change your mind, linear?  And if not, does anyone want to risk hosting it on their own servers?
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »
Might be cool to just list the best pay phones to call.  Like ones in interesting areas or that have lots of people nearby that you can talk to.  And, of course, that accept incoming calls.  Quality instead of quantity!

I definitely wouldn't host a directory containing numbers intended for harassment.  It never fails - I would get shit for it.  But it might be fun to just compile a list of interesting and useful numbers.

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 08:01:40 PM »
The "loser list" was pretty dumb anyway, as those numbers usually changed quickly. And the people who submitted them didn't realize that the people they submitted weren't all that interesting to call.

Offline ghostman

• Damn Screeners...
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +20/-11
  • Hi? Need a squid sandwich, next five, ten minutes.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 07:38:41 AM »
Eh... some of ElJefe's seems to be old though, especially in my area.  I remember trying a few months ago + and I tried a few more today.  Damn, got to get back to work.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »
And all the stuff in WI was out of date before it was even published. I tried some of them, but we had already split the 414 area code into two new ones, so anything that was 414 and wasn't Milwaukee (or even some of the ones that were) were useless. And this was a list compiled a few years after the split.

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »
And all the stuff in WI was out of date before it was even published. I tried some of them, but we had already split the 414 area code into two new ones, so anything that was 414 and wasn't Milwaukee (or even some of the ones that were) were useless. And this was a list compiled a few years after the split.

the list dates back to 1995.

Offline MattGSX

• Whiny Music Nerd
  • Senior PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +59/-97
  • Douchenozzle
    • Matt GSX Has Better Taste In Music Than You
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 02:07:41 PM »
My mistake. I was under the impression that the payphone numbers were updated as new lists were released.

Offline computerwiz_222

• PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-19
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 03:46:39 PM »
Cool idea, but why do you need it? I mean no one is going to host harassment numbers because you would get into trouble for that and payphones are mostly incoming(correct me if im wrong). Cool but useless at the same time. Only useful for RBCPs podcast... He could call a payphone and then see how the person reacts...

Offline linear

• OMG Mod
  • PLA Army
  • United Phone Losers
    • United Phone Losers
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »
...there are tons of useful/interesting numbers that are not payphones or harrassment victims.

CountyKid

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 05:00:02 PM »
Call 1-800-GET-COKE and complain. Expect coupons.

Special coupons=Free soda.