Author Topic: Cacti Radio computer is dead! HALP!  (Read 4452 times)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Cacti Radio computer is dead! HALP!
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
Today I was watching Weeds on Netflix with the Cacti Radio computer and it shuts down in the middle of the episode.  Since then I've failed at getting it to turn back on.  All the connections inside seem fine and the power button doesn't appear to be broken, though I haven't officially tested it.  I would use a multimeter to see if power is coming from the power supply, but I don't know how to turn it on without pressing the computer's power button.  So what do I do?  Just buy a new power supply and hope that makes it work?  Or would you start somewhere else?  Anyone know how I could determine if the problem is the power supply?

There is a green light on the back of the computer which stays lit up all the time, even when I unplug the power cord.  When I disconnect the power supply from the motherboard, the green light turns off.  The computer is a Compaq that I purchased new 2 years ago.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
Re: Cacti Radio computer is dead! HALP!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
Er, nevermind.  It's working now.  I went to this tutorial on troubleshooting power supplies after I wrote that post.  I decided to start with testing the power cord, even though that seemed dumb.  I mean really, what could go wrong with a power cord?  But guess what?  It was the power cord!  I don't understand what could be wrong with the power cord.  It never moves and I wasn't touching it when the computer died.  There are no signs that it's broken on the outside of it.  It's just a dead cord for some reason.  Whatever, though, Cacti Radio is working again!

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:29:12 AM »
If it should happen again, sometimes if the motherboard isn't seated just right, it screws with the grounding or something and won't start up.. You can just move it a bit until it boots.

If you ever need to test the power button, you can find the 2 pins on the motherboard where the power button is connected, take the plug off and touch the pins with the metal end of a screwdriver to power up the computer
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline frog

• Defender of the Forums, Speaks Two Languages
  • PLA Henchman
  • 1337 13V3L: +148/-48
  • Ribbit.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:14:59 PM »
I have Netflix too! Doesn't finally having the chance to pay for your media feel GREAT?
To see this post in braille, click here.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »
I have Netflix too! Doesn't finally having the chance to pay for your media feel GREAT?
meh... i get frustrated that most of the movies i want to watch are DVD only... who wants to watch an outdated format...

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:47:40 PM »
I rarely get frustrated at the DVD-only thing since there's a billions torrents with that stuff on it.  Netflix is forcing me into a life of piracy by not having everything on demand.

By the way, I'm told that our affiliate station in central Texas (aka Roxy's house) is now experiencing problems as well.  Someone told me her computer broke in the middle of a broadcast this morning.  This is some kind of conspiracy by Spaz to shut us down, I'm sure.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 08:11:10 AM »
well yea, years ago (long past the statue of limitations for such things =p) i used to download/stream pirated movie... netflix is just wife ready... no need to connect a PC or media server to every TV since i can use the wii to stream netflix so the DVD only thing is annoying..

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:48:08 AM »
these days when i get a dvd from netflix, it sits unwatched on my counter for about a month while i watch all the streaming stuff.. then when i finally watch it, it sits in my player for another week or so before i remember to mail it back

gone are the days of frantic disc watching...
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation