Author Topic: Problems using TEC Telephone Recording Jack Adapter with Sony ICD-PX820.  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Canku_wicasa

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
Recently purchased TEC "Chat-Trapper" inline Telephone Recording Jack Adapter (Manufactured by Lynn Electronics Corp., Ivyland, PA) for use in combination with Sony ICD-PX 820 Voice Recorder.  First time I hooked everything up it worked like a charm, clear crisp sound quality.  Bodda boom, boda bing! However, after the passage of a few hours time, everything came to a screeching halt.  The voice recorder's speaker stopped working even after I disconnected it from the adapter.  Took me two hours to get the sound back (no idea, just kept fiddling with it til the sound starting working).  Went to store and swapped the recorder for a new one.  Came home, plugged evrything up, worked beautifully.  Next morning, nothing but static.  Am using an Emerson Slimline Caller ID Phone (Model No. EM2517, keypad in handset).  Is it possible that I should not be leaving the recorder plugged into the adapter when the phone rings, or even not at all unless actually using it to record?

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
So what did your wife do?

Offline Canku_wicasa

• Newb
  • Low-level employee
Single and celibate, living alone and lovin it, wouldn't even entertain at home (I like my things arranged just the way they are, thank you very much).  Yesterday went to the store and acquired a third voice recorder.  Worked great the first time.  Ten minutes later, no go.   Blowed the microphone jack.  Now I can't even use a remote microphone.  Everything else works fine.  This getting just a bit frustrating, especially now that Wal-Mart is fresh out of recorders. >:(

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
I've never heard of the in-line recording adapter that you're using, but if it's continuously blowing up digital recorders, then it obviously has problems.  You should go to Radio Shack and buy one of their in-line recorders for around $20 - $30.  You should be able to leave it hooked up to a phone line for as long as you want.

A ringing phone carries around 90 volts of electricity with it, so maybe this adapter you're using is letting that voltage pass through to the mic jack.  It seems unlikely, but I don't know what else would break 3 voice recorders.

Offline Canku_wicasa

• Newb
  • Low-level employee
As a note of interest, upon contacting the vendor from whom I purchased the “Chat-Trapper,” (i.e.,SmithGear), my money was refunded with the instruction, “please don't worry about returning it.”

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
http://www.amazon.com/TEC-Recording-Device-16-R-CHATTRAPPER/dp/B000GB1KVQ

Were you plugging this thing into the phone line that comes from the wall?  Or were you plugging it into the handset part of your phone?  If you were plugging it into the handset, there shouldn't be a problem, but if you had it hooked into the actual phone line, that could be a problem when the phone rings and sends 90 volts directly into your digital recorder.  If you still own the thing, try using it on the handset instead of on the back of the phone.

Offline Canku_wicasa

• Newb
  • Low-level employee
Wish it were that easy.  Plugged it straight into the handset as directed by the instructions.  The telephone in question is a wall mount with the line in located on the bottom of the phone so there is no possibility of inadvertantly utilizing the wrong jack.  Like yourself, I am quite puzzled as to why this thing won't function properly; technologically speaking, there just isn't that much involved.  :o  It strikes me as odd that the vendor didn't won't the device returned.  Causes me to suspect that this may be a not uncommon problem.  At any rate, the purcahse price has already been credited to my debit card so I suppose the sensible thing to do now is purcahse a new adapter from Radio Shack.  Of course the recorder I now possess was the last one on the shelf at Wal-Mart.  Hence, even a properly functioning adapter is of no use in at least the short term.  Why does everything have to be so complicated! 

Offline Canku_wicasa

• Newb
  • Low-level employee
Perusing the Radio Shack website I found a "Mini Recorder Control" catalog/model no. 43-1237 listed at $20.99.  There is a precautionary disclaimer; "Note: The Recorder Control does not work with phones that have a keypad on the handset," i.e., such as the one I employed.  I found no device on the site suitable for recording with such phones.  It would seem that the dialing of numbers through the handset shoots juice through the line such that mic jacks get blown.  Deducing that my most immediate need is for a telephone without a keypad on the handset (and, of course, considering that SmithGear refunded my money without a return of the "Chat-Trapper," for a Wal-Mart restock of the relevant voice recorder.)

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
Are you wanting to record every call you make, random incoming calls or just specific calls? Because if you're only wanting to record specific calls, you could just do something easier like get the Olympus TP-7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU88CQ/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=phonelosersof-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000GU88CQ
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
http://www.phonelosers.org/article/recording_telephone_calls/ has a few ideas for ways to record phone calls.

Offline nyphonejacks

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +22/-5
    • nyphonejacks
Perusing the Radio Shack website I found a "Mini Recorder Control" catalog/model no. 43-1237 listed at $20.99.  There is a precautionary disclaimer; "Note: The Recorder Control does not work with phones that have a keypad on the handset," i.e., such as the one I employed.  I found no device on the site suitable for recording with such phones.  It would seem that the dialing of numbers through the handset shoots juice through the line such that mic jacks get blown.  Deducing that my most immediate need is for a telephone without a keypad on the handset (and, of course, considering that SmithGear refunded my money without a return of the "Chat-Trapper," for a Wal-Mart restock of the relevant voice recorder.)

yea that sounds about right... since the number pad is on the handset, i would assume that the ringer, and everything else is also on the handset and the base is just hollow... which would mean that RJ9 would just be spliced to the RJ11 on the phone base - so technically you could probably just connect your handset cord to your phone jack and use that phone... sounds like the phone would make a good beige box...

Offline Canku_wicasa

• Newb
  • Low-level employee
nyphonejacks, you are correct.  The handset works alone, except for the hanging up part.  The cradle has no function beyond cradling.  My first thought when I blew the initial mic jack was that there had to be juice running through the line.  Not sure why SmithGear didn' t note this limitation in its ad.  Moreover, not sure why I didn't do more research before attempting to utilize the adapter.  Too focused on the end and not attentive enough to the means, I suppose.  At any rate, will be purcahsing a new phone in the immediate future.  Never liked the Emerson anyway, handset cord was junk and the cradle hook was inadequate (constantly dropping the handset when attempting to hang up).

Offline Canku_wicasa

• Newb
  • Low-level employee
UPDATE:
Acquired new voice recorder (Sony ICD-PX312) and speakerphone (Emerson Slimline Model EM2646 with no keypad in the handset).  On testing, everything seemed fine until the party on the other end of the line connected.  As soon as the other party connects there is a hideously loud screeching sound.  I am beginning to think I should install RJ11 jack in my laptop and record straight through the computer.  Could have probably already done this for the loot I've sunk in the other toys tried.