Author Topic: Possible Streaming of Phone Bridge  (Read 7164 times)

Offline computerwiz_222

• PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-19
Possible Streaming of Phone Bridge
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:35:57 AM »
Hello everyone

If there are enough people on the bridge I may be able to record or stream some of it. Can someone tell me if this is legal and if you want it done.

MegaKitsune

Re: Possible Streaming of Phone Bridge
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 06:13:39 PM »
Hello everyone

If there are enough people on the bridge I may be able to record or stream some of it. Can someone tell me if this is legal and if you want it done.

Dude, this is the PLA forum... I doubt legailty matters. And I personally think it'd be rather cool...

Offline jammie

• You ain't PLA if you ain't dated jammie!
  • Arcade Admin
  • Lieutenant Cactus
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-67
  • ibaibaibaiba
    • jammie718.com
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:28:35 PM »
It sounds cool, not sure if it'd be easy to implement and yah, that whole legality thing... but that would be inspiring :)

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:19:19 PM »
It seems like since it's on a public bridge, it can't be TOO illegal.  I mean, anybody could be listening anyway.  You're just giving the bridge a larger audience.  Of course, if you look at the laws on recording phone calls you'll see that they always think of a way to get you.  Then again, you're not recording.  But then again, I'm sure there's some kind of wacky wiretapping law about this kind of thing.  Bah, stupid legalities.  If you do it, let me know and I'll post a link to it.

Offline computerwiz_222

• PLA Addict
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-19
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 06:39:52 AM »
Well seeing that I am not around enough to do this I will explain how to do it for all you ppls out there who want to stream the voice bridge to the internet. If you have a telephone recording device then skip step 1 because step 1 is just a way to get the audio off your phone.

How to make a call recording device on the cheap!

Step 1: Go to the dollar store and buy a mono earpiece and an audio cable (rca kind).

Step 2: Go to Radio Shack and buy a 3.5mm (1/8th inch) mono plug. No wires attatched.

Step 3: Go home and plug your soldering iron in, get out solder, flux and if your fancy some shrink tube (electrical tape works fine).

Step 4: Expose the inside of the listening part of the cell phone earpiece. You will see two wires. Cut your audio cable in half, cut off the ends and rip the cable down the middle. You should now have two black cables with two wires inside each of them.

Step 4. Desolder the mini speaker inside the listening part. Next solder on of the wires inside one of the black cables to one of the wires inside the listening part. Then solder the other speaker wire to the other wire inside the black cable. Now put electrical tape on these connections to protect shorting.

Step 5: Unscrew the 3.5mm mono jack and put the cover on the cable then solder the negative wire to the tongue on the mono jack and the positive wire to the other terminal. Screw the cover onto the plug.

Now you can plug your cell phone into the computer. Your final product should look link this... In paint.

If you damage anything, or break any laws while doing this I will not be held responsible. I have not made or tested one of these headset things, this would only work in theory. If someone tries it post pictures.

Streaming it to the internet!

Step 1: Plug your recording device into the line in port.

Step 2: Sign up for a no-ip account (this is very important).

Step 3: Once you sign up you can go to your account and under Hosts/Redirects click add. Change the hostname to whatever you want. This will be the URL to your stream. Leave the rest of the settings alone and click create host.

Step 4: Go to downloads and download the Dynamic DNS updating software. This program stops your URL from not working when your ISP decides you need a new IP.

Step 5: Instal this software and it will run in the background keeping your URL working.

Step 6: Download Windows Media Encoder and install it. When it first opens up it will open a dialog that says new session. Click on broadcast a live event. Click OK

Step 7: On the next dialog box it will ask what you want to broadcast. Put a check in Audio. The click configure. In the box that comes up
select Line In from the drop down menu. Click Next

Step 8: In the next box select the second option. Click Next

Step 9: Write down the URLs in the next window. Click Next.

Step 10: Change the audio quality to a lower bit rate (for voice 20-30 is perfect) Click next.

Step 11: If you want an archive of the sound played then check the box and select a place to save it. If you don't want one just click next.

Step 12: Click Next again.

Step 13: When you click finish it will begin broadcasting what is coming into the line in port on your soundcard. Uncheck the box if you don't want this to happen.

Step 14: Dial up the number and get onto the voice bridge. Call a friend or relaive on your cell phone(this cannot be done on another computer on the same internet connection) and ask them to go to the URL you created way back in step 3 in windows media player. If they are connected they should be able to hear you talking into the voice bridge or the other people too. If it doesn't work try one of the URLs that you copied down.

You can use this method to broadcast anything live including video and such. If you see any errors or have any comments on my guide please post them. In this forum. I will not be doing this because I have a feeling it is illegal and I wouldn't want to risk getting p0wned.

Offline MikeMA

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-3
    • My MySpace
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
Might work...

Offline Colonel Panic

• PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +29/-40
  • I lost my phone! Guess that makes me a phoneloser!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 10:10:52 PM »
I don't see what motivation anyone would have to sue or press charges for streaming the voice bridge to the Internet anyway, unless they were prank-called and made to look stupid...

Then again, I can't see why anyone would want to listen to the voice bridge being streamed on the Net in the first place, when they can just open up Skype and participate!

Offline brianwk

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »
It'd be easier to just call in using Skype and stream it like that. If anyone is interested, I have the hardware, but the only thing is, why would you want to stream the bridge? Mostly it's a bunch of a flooders anyways.

Actually, an even better idea would be to have the ability to make the bridge private, and only allow certain people to listen in. Skype has an API and there could be a web interface that allows the conference to be hung up on and redialed with a new extension for the stream.

So if you're interested, I'll set it up for the sake of boredom and unused bandwidth.

Offline brianwk

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 04:57:59 PM »
I have it working at an audible level, but it's not really tested yet, currently it is on extension 752. If people show interest, I will create the extension changing administrator.

The stream is up at http://204.11.33.135:8000/

Offline brianwk

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »
There is another problem, the conference disconnects you after x amount of hours connected. This means regardless some sort of application that uses Skype API needs to be created, to reconnect to the conference whenever Skype disconnects from it.

Offline brianwk

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 04:22:38 PM »
The stream is up and I think I solved the volume problems.

Offline P. Quincy

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 03:15:46 AM »
brian, sounds good.. just tested it.  There is quite some delay though, more than 2 1/2 minutes.  Delay is expected, but I wouldn't have expected anything more than 30 seconds.. 

Offline brianwk

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 06:18:22 PM »
brian, sounds good.. just tested it.  There is quite some delay though, more than 2 1/2 minutes.  Delay is expected, but I wouldn't have expected anything more than 30 seconds.. 

This was due to the bitrate of the stream. I've increased it to 80kbps and the delay is now about 30 seconds.

Offline JohnKerry

• Local Operator
  • 1337 13V3L: +12/-45
  • how do you ask a man 2b the last man not married?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 03:40:21 PM »
There is another problem, the conference disconnects you after x amount of hours connected. This means regardless some sort of application that uses Skype API needs to be created, to reconnect to the conference whenever Skype disconnects from it.

Fucking shitty cocoa API.

Offline Saint

• Senior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-2
  • Krazy Glue Afficionado
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 08:14:06 PM »
Shouldn't be illegal if all the users agree to it and know it's happening.  But the shoutcast is down right now (which is fine, there was just some horrible humming last time I checked..), I'll check it out tomorrow.

Colour Your World