Author Topic: Max Headroom Signal Intrusion  (Read 2931 times)

Offline MIB

• Senior Racketeering Officer
  • PLA Army
  • 1337 13V3L: +32/-12
  • PLA- phreak tested. Phone company approved
Max Headroom Signal Intrusion
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
Way back in 1987 when payphones were as plentiful as cell phones are today, an incident occurred in Chicago when someone posing as Max Headroom hijacked the broadcast signal for WGN-TV to broadcast a video of themselves in a Max Headroom mask. There was no audio. They were on the air for about 30 minutes until their broadcast engineer switch to another frequency.

The same night around 11:15 “Max Headroom” interrupted the signal for WTTW. This time there was audio and he stayed on the air for the duration of his video.

One of big theories about this is an employee for WGN may have done this. A stunt like this requires technical know-how and some professional equipment.

There was a similar incident involving HBO about a year earlier when a guy who worked for a Pay-Per-View type channel, (Captain Midnight) aimed a satellite to HBO to broadcast a message. He was eventually caught and went on to selling satellite dishes.

As for the Max Headroom guy nobody was ever caught.

The questions are who did and why. I think the statute of limitations should be expired by now, giving the guy the opportunity to come to explain why he did. The weird part is WGN managed to knock him off the air quickly, however the folks at WTTW couldn’t knock him off the air in time. Why did “Max” target 2 stations in one night. Hell, why didn’t he try to ‘jack all the stations in Chicago and go for the record? Could this have been the work of a rival TV station? Maybe he was testing to see how the TV stations would react, something similar to what corporation do when their computer networks are hacked.

Some people hail this as a pre-internet troll.

MIB
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:18:20 PM by MIB »
oɔıxǝɯ ʍǝu uı ʎoɹ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Offline murd0c

• PLA Public Relations
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +169/-74
    • murd0c dot net
Re: Max Headroom Signal Intrusion
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWdgAMYjYSs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tWdgAMYjYSs&rel=1</a>

The least you could have done was include the weird-as-fuck video. Honestly I'd like to think this is the work of some overly-competent electronics student with a wild streak. He calmed down and decided he would never fucking talk about the multiple felonies he committed in the 80's.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
Re: Max Headroom Signal Intrusion
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:13:13 AM »
hahah.. I've known about this for a long time but never saw the video for some reason. Awesome..
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation