OMG IT'S TEH PLA! > PLA Chat Lines and Chat Rooms

PLA BBS

<< < (2/4) > >>

rbcp:
Thanks for making a list to remind me why I dropped out of 12th grade instead of 2nd.

bestialbub:
i grad-gee-ated near last in my class.  but i still grad-gee-ated.

./me smoochies

mmkay, bu bye.

rbcp:
I think people quit BBSing, not because of the speed (speed was all the same during the transition) but because the internet is just better.  The primary reasons for using a BBS were the message areas, the games and the files.  By today's standards, their message areas are clumsy and hard to follow, the games are boring and there isn't a file you can't find on the internet.  Forums and blogs and threads on Facebook are so much better than the message areas on a BBS.  It seems like the only reason to return to BBSing today would be for the nostalgia.

A couple years ago I discovered that there were a ton of people maintaining old BBSes via telnet still, so I downloaded a telnet client that could handle ANSI graphics and spent several hours visiting random systems that ran things like WWIV and Renegade.  It was kind of neat, just for the nostalgia, but I haven't been back to any of them since that day.  All of them were dead.  The message areas all seemed to average about 1 message per month and every message said something like, "Oohhh, this brings back so many memories for me!"

Not to hate on your BBS idea, Q.  I will definitely check it out when you set it up as long as it's accessible via the internet.  Dialing in via a phone line isn't going to happen for me since none of my computers have modems in them (not even the old ones) and I don't have a phone line in my house.  (MagicJack doesn't count.)  I don't know how much luck you'll have getting a data connection to work over VoIP.  I remember people trying to do things like that on Vonage years ago and it just didn't work.  I can't even send faxes with MagicJack.

It could work, though.  Cal used to have a telnet PLA BBS running and people used it often, mostly just to play the games he had running.

markov:
Even forums are so dead these days, I can't imagine a BBS getting any usage.. I guess you'd have the advantage of not worrying about spam bots   :D 

But when even the PLA forum isn't terribly active, I'm not sure setting the BBS up would be worth the effort. Maybe that work could be reapplied to something more useful to what is already built, or something more modern. I know its fun to reflect on the days when things were different, but what about staking out the new ground and staying relevant..

It sucks that forums don't get a lot of usage any more.. so much better than facebook, when it comes to group communication

Q_:
Well the "BBS" I'm building is really just a shared folder filled with HTML and BAT files. When you log on it just opens up a HTML file and lets you go on from there, It really is BBS 2.0. Plus I made it YEARS AGO. So it looks like crap. The main point of it is to allow people to connect to a more, less restricted (Sorry RBCP) environment. It's more of nostalgia and fun than anything else. It's like a website, but Hyper-local. I'm trying to work on a chat & forum software but It's not working great...
I'll post some some screen-caps ladder so you guys can see it. It's more or more underground pourposi than anything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version