Author Topic: Remote Overhead Paging Still Possible @ Meijer Store(s)  (Read 4931 times)

Offline theevilmonkee

• Baby Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-0
  • Low-level employee
Remote Overhead Paging Still Possible @ Meijer Store(s)
« on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
Today while in Meijer (like Walmart or Fred Meyer), I called the store, got the electronics department, and told the guy I was technical support and to transfer me to *179 (Meijer's universal intercom code).  Expecting it to not work at all, I was shocked to realize that I was on their intercom right there on my cell phone.  Taken by complete surprise, I panicked and said, "Attention Mejier: Testicles.  That is all."  I hung up, amazed that it worked, and watched as the employees flipped their shits about what happened.  The announcement was not that loud (and a couple seconds lagged of course), given that it was delivered from a cell phone's tiny microphone.

But the point is that the good old days of remote overhead paging aren't quite over.  So if you happen to have one of these stores in your area, or just feel like screwing around with one in a different state, give this a shot and mention if it works for you or not (who knows, this might have been a fluke store).  Just make sure not to do it to the point of corporate correcting it.  If given adequate planning, this could be quite the epic prank (especially to take video of), so I'll be sure to do something better with it next time.

Apparently it's only in like 5 states...:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:08:06 PM by theevilmonkee »

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
  • Low-level employee
Re: Remote Overhead Paging Still Possible @ Meijer Store(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »
You should have said something like "attention shoppers, we're giving away free 24 packs of the beer of your choice to the first 50 customers to lick the floor and say cactus" or "attention shoppers, the loss prevention guy is on lunch break, feel free to shoplift anything and everything."

Or, if it's the shock factor from controverial stuff that you're looking for, you could have said something like "attention shoppers, Barack Obama (or the politician of your choice) is a dick head, please agree to vote against him(/her) or leave the store at once."

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
Make a video of this.

Offline nomadcowatbk

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +5/-8
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »
Spoof your number as the corporate HQ or another store