Author Topic: Dead Forum?!  (Read 16587 times)

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
Re: Dead Forum?!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
Plenty of us still care but most of us choose to communicate telepathically. As it so happens I am communicating with three different PLA members ATM...
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
  • 1337 13V3L: +48/-12
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
I just keep getting fart noises. It isn't telepathic communication if all you're doing is sending fart jokes.

Regardless. The whole social engineering and prank thing is still alive and well; but this is why I say it's far easier to dig through forums than it is social networking sights. At least on a forum if you're much more able to hide your face than in a social networking sight. No, it isn't exactly Fort Nox protection or FBI secret stealth, but it's easier to draw connections within social webrings like facebook and the such. At least in my opinion.
      Of course forums are just as open and anyone with interest can view them (Governments, that annoying ass kid down the block), but it feels like it's more central and just a shade harder to draw connections from simply reading posts and comparing them to someone else in another forum with a different email and screen name.

Not that I take part in much illegal anything. This is also really just me saying I hate crawling through the stupid fucking posts in social media in a desperate attempt to communicate or relay an idea on a subject.

Self proclaimed ADD generation. Kill 'em all.

BRING BACK BSS.

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »
Sorry for all the fart noises. I guess I should stop posting from the bathroom... as I am right now.
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com

Offline Cyclopath

• PLA Guru
  • 1337 13V3L: +3/-5
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »
I just keep getting fart noises. It isn't telepathic communication if all you're doing is sending fart jokes.

Regardless. The whole social engineering and prank thing is still alive and well; but this is why I say it's far easier to dig through forums than it is social networking sights. At least on a forum if you're much more able to hide your face than in a social networking sight. No, it isn't exactly Fort Nox protection or FBI secret stealth, but it's easier to draw connections within social webrings like facebook and the such. At least in my opinion.
      Of course forums are just as open and anyone with interest can view them (Governments, that annoying ass kid down the block), but it feels like it's more central and just a shade harder to draw connections from simply reading posts and comparing them to someone else in another forum with a different email and screen name.

Not that I take part in much illegal anything. This is also really just me saying I hate crawling through the stupid fucking posts in social media in a desperate attempt to communicate or relay an idea on a subject.

Self proclaimed ADD generation. Kill 'em all.

BRING BACK BSS.

Back in the day, no one online knew you were a dog; when you post in a forum, your online identity can be completely separate from your real life identity short of you doing something stupid like threatening the president or something. When you post on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc, the whole world knows that its you, the middle school cheerleader, the high school science genius, the college football star, the grocery store manager, the 7/11 clerk, the hospital cook, the state government official, the U.S. Marine, the CEO of Wal-Mart, or whoever the hell you are. RBCP suggested making a separate account on the social networks for your PLA antics, but the problem with that is that Facebook very clearly has in its policies that people are to have only one account at Facebook, and they will get rid of any accounts they suspect of being sockpuppets. I know this because I've had at least two sockpuppet accounts blocked (well, one was hardblocked and the other one was soft blocked where they insisted on me providing a mobile number to unlock it, I'm tempted to get one of those prepaid phones and use that number just to spite them). People are getting rid of their Facebook accounts right and left. Facebook's stock has been a complete flop, and for good reason. If I post something on Facebook referencing my new employer, they'll likely see it, and they'll fire me if they don't like it per their "Social Networking Policy" (could be an interesting trolling target, make up something else that has the same initials as my new employer and post a lot about it on Facebook, there's a couple of Cs in there, I'm sure we could fit cactus in there somehow).

I agree, bring back BBS, bring back the good old days.

Offline Mister Skin

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-2
  • Radio Jerk/Phone Phreak
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
Back in 1994, I got involved in a bunch of 1200 baud chat lines in the Chicago area. They were called Nuclear Greenhouse and Lunatic Phringe. They used GTalk and had maybe 10 lines. I had a lot of good fun on there and thought the Phringe would have long been reduced to memories in antiquity but it turns out that it is still around today, via Telnet! WOOHOO!

This was my compugenesis. Thats around the time I started going on the North Shore hacker BBS's and found the PLA texts. I've never been the same since.

THANKS BRAD
The popcorn you have been eating has been pissed in, film at 11

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
YOUR WELCOME, SIR!

We should start up some completely arcane way of communicating with each other that's not mainstream.  Like take over some telnet BBS that someone has set up and forgotten about.  We'll be so hardcore, knowing that our new home could just disappear without warning.

Offline Mister Skin

• PLA Fan Club
  • 1337 13V3L: +6/-2
  • Radio Jerk/Phone Phreak
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
Maybe we could all run 286's with 2400 baud again? You know, get Qmodem Pro and type in ATDT and the number beforehand?

OK, that will probably never happen, but I do know that gtalk.phringe.org is still active- we could hijack that if nothing else is found.

There is a telnet BBS list at telnetbbsguide.com- I have to wonder how many of those are even active.

Only the most hardcore, obscure uberhax0rs would do something like that.

The only thing that would be even more obscene is if we all got our ham licenses and started sending CW (Morse Code) to each other on the 20 meter ham radio band- All the 90-year old men would be shitshocked..
The popcorn you have been eating has been pissed in, film at 11

Offline bassplaya1171

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
deleted my facebook a few months ago, and after years of listening to pla i finally made an account here, just as the forums are slowing down 0.o i guess ill just make some car ding notes to occupy my time :'(

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »
The forum stats say that we've had 124 new topics and 832 posts this year.  It looks like we're on track to have exactly half of the posts/topics that we had last year.

In 2011 we had 502 topics and 3196 posts.
In 2010 we had 1472 topics and 4590 posts.
In 2009 we had 596 topics and 6594 posts.
In 2008 we had 1188 topics and 15,871 posts.
In 2007 we had 1695 topics and 17,311 posts.

So yeah, I should just pull the plug on this place ASAP!

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 09:13:45 AM »
Don't. I'll suck your dick. Promise.

Offline tabachi

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +4/-0
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »
What about our number of views? Are many reading the forums and not posting?

Offline bassplaya1171

• Newb
  • 1337 13V3L: +0/-0
  • Low-level employee
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
dumb lurkers. oh wait i was one for a while.

Offline ApprenticePhreak

• PLA Junkie
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 05:35:10 AM »
I spelled 'site' as sight. Of all the stupid shit I've done in my life, this tops it all.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »
What about our number of views? Are many reading the forums and not posting?

Page views this year are around 1 million while in the previous 2 years they were 5 and 6 million.  I'm not sure page views mean much, though, because a lot of those views could be bots and just people finding a page of something from Google.

I really don't mind that this place is so slow lately.  I'd rather have 3 or 4 good posts a day than dozens of z09 posts.

Offline markov

• Cactus Zombie
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-1
  • The mgt.
    • chowdersploitation
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »
Nice one on placing the latest forum posts right up top on the main site index
my prankcalls: chowdersploitation