Author Topic: Good Phreaking Books?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline N01zii

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
  • 21st Century Phreakin'
Good Phreaking Books?
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
I was thinking about getting the PLA book, but wasn't sure because it mostly seemed to be about pranking.

Does anyone know of useful books for phreaking (That are still relevant in the 21st century, of course).

I was looking about books about VoIP, switching systems, and GSM, but I don't think learning the protocols and everything like that would help me to much with what I'm looking for. And by phreaking, I don't mean hacking into 90's modems or something like that, I just mean being able to just play with the phone systems. Maybe like gaining access to switches or anything like that, I don't know much about phreaking so I can't give you guys very specific topics haha. But book suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks guys!

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Good Phreaking Books?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
http://www.phonelosers.org/book/download/

You can download the PLA book for free at that link.  It is mostly pranks but there are a lot of phone tricks in there that you might like.

Kevin Mitnick's book called Ghost in the Wire had a lot of good stuff in it. 

If you like reading about people messing around with phone stuff, the book Cyberpunk by John Markoff and Katie Hafner is pretty amazing and it's always been one of my favorites.  The first 1/3rd of the book is all about Kevin Mitnick's crazy shenanigans in the 80's and there's a lot of great phone stuff in there.

Offline chriskraus

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +2/-0
  • Valued Employee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

You can download the PLA book for free at that link.
Man, I can't believe I actually paid for that book.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
You're so STUPID!

Offline Arox!

• please don't tickle me
  • PLA Soldier
  • 1337 13V3L: +13/-42
  • *Random Mike Tyson Quote*
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 06:27:35 AM »
haha you big fat dummy, i downloaded it and just tell people i bought it.
L̬͙O͓Ḽ̼͔̭̯

Offline N01zii

• Junior Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +1/-1
  • 21st Century Phreakin'
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »

You can download the PLA book for free at that link.  It is mostly pranks but there are a lot of phone tricks in there that you might like.

Kevin Mitnick's book called Ghost in the Wire had a lot of good stuff in it. 

If you like reading about people messing around with phone stuff, the book Cyberpunk by John Markoff and Katie Hafner is pretty amazing and it's always been one of my favorites.  The first 1/3rd of the book is all about Kevin Mitnick's crazy shenanigans in the 80's and there's a lot of great phone stuff in there.

Oh wow, after reading some of the PLA book I actually really like it. I think I may go buy it so you can get some profit. As for ghost in the wires: I read it the day it came out.(as an eBook) and LOVED IT. I just got a hardcover version of it a week or two ago, and have been reading it avidly. Its a great book and explains a lot, but I think that a lot of the terminology and stuff may be outdated, unfortunately. As for learning the new terminology, should I get a book on VoIP or GSM or telephone switching technology or something?

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:22:14 PM »
Glad you like it!  If you're into phreaking history, a guy named Phil Lapsley is coming out with a book soon.  Here's the website for it:  http://explodingthephone.com/

He did a really awesome talk at HOPE 2010, which I posted the video of on the PLA Facebook this morning.

Trevelyn from Weaknet is coming out with a book soon and it's all stuff from the 2000's.  It's mostly stuff about wifi hacking but there's plenty of fun phone stuff in it too.

I don't have any recommendations for current technology, though I would think you could research a lot of that stuff just by looking through websites on those topics.