Author Topic: Backdoor VMB #'s...  (Read 4299 times)

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
  • 1337 13V3L: +16/-3
  • DU WERDEST EINEN KRANKENSCHWESTER BRAUCHEN!!!
Backdoor VMB #'s...
« on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
Way back when I owned a BlackBerry, which was the only smartphone, I noticed that when I dialed into my VMB that the number was not my own phone's number, but the local "back door" number 724-920-9990. I found that useful for checking my VM if my cell was either dead, temporarily misplaced or forgotten on a given day.

Recently, when I found myself without my phone and with a need to check VM, I dug this number up and tried logging in. While it is still associated with AT&T VM, it seems to not be related to cellular VM any longer.

Does anyone who uses AT&T and who may have used this particular method of accessing VM have any idea why this is the case? Is this the case for other carriers' "back door" VM access?

Here's a semi-comprehensive list:

http://www.cellularbackdoor.com/vm_numbers.shtml
The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

I didn't dial the wrong number, you picked up the wrong phone.

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
Re: Backdoor VMB #'s...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Can't you just dial your own phone number to reach your voicemail? 

Back in the Blackberry days, digital and data on your phone was kind of a new thing.  I bet their way of logging into your cellular voicemail was based on the analog system, kind of based on how land line voicemail worked before everyone had cell phones.  They probably just figured out a cheaper, more efficient way of connecting you to the voicemail system, rather than dialing a phone number.  Once all the phones were switched to this magical new system that I'm completely making up based on my assumptions of how things work, they killed all the phone numbers since you weren't supposed to be using them like that in the first place.

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »
Can't you just dial your own phone number to reach your voicemail?

Yes, but at the time I didn't want to dial my number because I didn't want the hassle of the person who had it answering, telling them not to answer, blah blah blah, when I could just call in from this old number. I figured quickly Googling the number and using it would be less of a problem.

Once I realized that I could no longer get in that way, I was more interested in why this method didn't work anymore.

Quote from: rbcp
Back in the Blackberry days, digital and data on your phone was kind of a new thing.  I bet their way of logging into your cellular voicemail was based on the analog system, kind of based on how land line voicemail worked before everyone had cell phones.  They probably just figured out a cheaper, more efficient way of connecting you to the voicemail system, rather than dialing a phone number.  Once all the phones were switched to this magical new system that I'm completely making up based on my assumptions of how things work, they killed all the phone numbers since you weren't supposed to be using them like that in the first place.

You're probably right. And I am pretty awful for doing it that way, aren't I? It's possible I was setting off alarms and causing network errors every time I called in.

I should write AT&T a letter of apology.

The only acceptable form of commerce is a proper and shady cash-only weapons deal.

"If there's anything i know, it's that people listen to a guy with a yardstick." - Richard Cardo

Offline rbcp

• Head Custodian
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Phone Loser
  • 1337 13V3L: +454/-81
  • I'm not stupid! I'm not stupid! Hematology!
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:52:49 PM »
Those backdoor numbers were also good for spoofing your way into another person's voicemail.  Call the backdoor number and make your number appear to be the phone number that you want voicemail access to and you're in.  Not sure if that still works anymore.  Maybe that's the reason they got rid of those numbers.

A few blogs reported on a service last year that allowed you to bypass a person's phone and go directly to their voicemail.  I just looked around Google and found it.  Here it is:

http://paysimple.com/blog/2012/01/30/how-to-leave-a-voicemail-message-without-ringing-the-phone/

You dial 267-759-3425, put in the number you want to reach and then listen to an advertisement and it connects you to the voicemail.  I've never tried it myself, so hopefully it still works.

Offline AmishGangsta

• =/\=
  • Phone Loser Abuser
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:30 AM »
http://paysimple.com/blog/2012/01/30/how-to-leave-a-voicemail-message-without-ringing-the-phone/

You dial 267-759-3425, put in the number you want to reach and then listen to an advertisement and it connects you to the voicemail.  I've never tried it myself, so hopefully it still works.

It doesn't work if you block your number, "because that just wouldn't be nice" and, "you can't Slydial yourself".

Offline ravenmaddox

• Quoth the RaVeN
  • PLA Corporate Drone
  • 1337 13V3L: +26/-51
  • In the Internets no one can hear you scream
    • Quoth the RaVeN
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
I can still use my Voip to spoof the number I am calling and 9 out of 10 it goes straight to voicemail. I have a feeling that this may all be reliant on what system I am calling from when I do this because I do remember ad there are still times that it rings the person's phone, but really... who answers a call from them self?!? And when they click "hang up" or "ignore" they are giving me exactly what I wanted in the first place.... muhahahahah!
Jesus Fucking Christ! Are you an idiot or just trying to be funny?

--- Quoth the RaVeN --- 2008.12.30 ---
http://www.RaVeNMaDDoX.com